Time Capsule hardware update

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrPeanut, Nov 9, 2009.

1. MrPeanut macrumors regular

How often is the time capsule updated? I can't afford one now but i was wondering how often it is updated so i can save up and buy one now or wait a few months and just use an external hard drive and then buy the updated version. What i mean is on the buyers guide on macrumours theres an average lifecylcle, what is the time capsule's?

2. Takashi macrumors regular

I won't buy them. I heard tons (really, Tons) of people had problems with them. Run a search on google and see. I am reading it now.

3. rhinocom macrumors newbie

rhinocom

I have had a first generation Time Capsule. It ran without problems. I sold it to buy the new generation dual-channel Time Capsule and it is running with no problems. It backs up just fine. I fortunately haven't needed to restore a computer on our network (3 MacBooks and 2 MacBook Pros) from a back up. However, the Time Capsule is backing everyone up and working great as a wireless n router. I hope that helps.

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I've had a few issues with my Time Capsule, mostly minor. I wouldn't buy another one though. There are more cost-effective ways to accomplish what it does, and which can also be upgraded.

5. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I suspect the TC gets silent upgrades. The disk capacity may be upgraded publicly but the internals are changed without announcement.

There has been some discussion about the power supply failing after about 18 months due to it overheating. No idea what fraction of people see this. It is a relatively easy thing to fix.

The TC works well for me and it is quite convenient. However, if money is tight you could put together something similar for less. The key part of a TC is the networked HD. Time Machine software is in OS X. You can use it with any HD attached to your computer.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Yes. And that can be had for much cheaper. Even a relatively expensive router + 1TB USB drive would be about 2/3 the price of the equivalent Time Capsule. The thing you lose in that case is supported network backup.