Time Capsule: Has Apple even noticed *this*?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zorinlynx, Jul 2, 2008.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It is now cheaper to buy a 500GB time capsule and 1TB bare drive from NewEgg, put the 1TB drive in the Time Capsule and KEEP the 500GB drive from it, than it is to buy a 1TB Time Capsule in the first place.

1TB Time Capsule: $499

500GB Time capsule: $299
    1TB bare hard drive from NewEgg: $179
    ----------------
    $478

I wonder if Apple has noticed this yet? It makes them look like idiots! How come the TC price hasn't been reduced due to the ever-lower cost of bare drives?

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Aren't all Apple products like this?

This is news to you?

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been thinking about a Time Capsule, but this way I end up with a lot more storage for less.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

well they say they're server grade hd, maybe they're better somehow, idk, plus, apple products are overpriced, get over it.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

The question is can you acually take that thing apart to begin with.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

For $21, it's worth it to me to have apple install the drive. And I'll even give up the naked 500gb drive from Apple.

Presumably Apple will lower the price slowly as drives drop in price. Or they'll up the bottom-end capacity and keep the price flat.

7. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

All Apple products have a bit of a premium to them. I'd expect that about a year from now, the 500 GB model will be dropped and be replaced by the 1 TB model, with a 2 TB model introduced at a higher price point.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No the drives are not server grade and don't forget these prices are from January and in January it was cheaper to buy a 1TB TC then the parts separately; not to mention you void you warranty when you open up the TC

9. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

I think that by 'server grade' it means they have had a little extra QA testing done to them - but who knows...

10. bamaworks macrumors 6502

And if you sell the 500GB you get an even larger discount.... ahh Apple, you funny guys.

11. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

No, I won't "get over it". If we just sit here and smile at the high prices, they'll never go down.

Pointing out stupidity like this is the only way to tell a company "your **** costs WAY too much". If the sales of 500GB TCs goes up, and 1TB goes down, and Apple finds out people are doing this, they WILL lower the price on the 1TB TC. Why would they want to lose sales of a more expensive product because of this?

Don't sit there and take it when companies don't lower their prices to match the market. Pressure them to do so. It's the only way it ever happens.

12. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Andrew is right :( However this does seem overly ridiculously overpriced.

13. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I was thinking of buying the 500GB TC, a 1TB drive, putting the 1TB in the TC and the 500GB into my Mac Pro.

- 500GB more backed up space to work with
    - 250GB boot drive is now backed up to the TC, which is nowhere near the Mac Pro
    - Existing 320GB Time Machine drive is freed up to use as a scratch disk.

It's a win, win, win situation. :)

14. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Excuse my ignorance, can the TC serve for anything else than a backup solution, a media server maybe?

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its just a hard drive that is incorportaed into a router so i assume you can do what you like with it

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Server-grade hard drive?, quality of materials?, better made?--an argument can be made for any of that. Or, more close to reality--at least for me--is just that it is cool and clean to have it all in one nice little package. For us iMac fans, that package is a nice compliment to our iMac. So more expensive or not, I'm happy with my Time Capsule.

17. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

@duke, thanks for the reply, I c. But do they provide the software to use it to stream tunes say?

18. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Yes, just point iTunes to look for files on your TC. But I warn you, it can be slower, it's better to just use the TC for backup and file storage, not streaming.

19. nastebu macrumors 6502

zorinlynx, I can't imagine Apple gives half a rotten banana what kind of complaining about the TC you, me, or anyone one else does on MacRumors. There's so much complaining here that it's pretty silly to imagine any company taking it seriously.

The one pressure that Apple will undoubtedly listen too: don't buy it. If sales slow down, surely they will react. On the other hand, I bought my 500GB TC last month, so I'm not helping your cause.

(and I use it to stream iTunes.)

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hey, good job. $21 less. The time it would take and the gas needed to go to more than one store is more than $21.

But, uh, good luck with all that.

hahahahahahahah
    hahahahahhahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahha

The only way to convince companies to lower prices is to not buy a product from them until they do so.

What are you going to do, start a letter writing campaign pleading with Apple to lower their prices? Seriously, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

21. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The reason that won't happen is that it's worth a lot to many people to not have to do something themselves, and to have a warranty on stuff you buy. Your "1TB" Time Capsule that was originally a 500GB will have no warranty on it, because you opened the case and did the modification yourself. I think it's worth a bit of money to have that guarantee that if something stops working properly (especially unrelated to the drive) you can get it fixed at no charge.

Besides, it's almost always cheaper to do something yourself than to buy it already assembled, but that doesn't mean it's always better.

jW

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A more likely scenario would be Apple redesigning the case to make it really hard to open, or put in a software check that forces you to use the exact drive model Apple uses, effectively preventing the use of a cheaper large drive.

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's a little bizarre to me why people complain about high prices and in the same breath mention that they buy Apple because it's quality.

That latter bit of delusion aside, the vast majority of Apple buyers will buy whatever storage capacity they feel they need. If they need more storage, they'll buy another one. 99% of them - me included - will not feel the need to crack one open and upgrade it if it wasn't designed to be so upgraded.

24. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

$21 less AND an extra 500GB hard drive. Are you dense? Read my post more carefully.

If it were just $21 less without the drive you'd make sense. But you have an extra 500GB drive you can use/sell/whatever.

You people really make me roll my eyes repeatedly. The sheep-like nature of most Apple customers is irritating. You're happy to spend a fortune and just take it in the rear, not realizing that if you STOP doing this, the prices will come down eventually.

25. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Know what's even more irritating? People like you who come on forums, say something that not everyone agrees with and then proceed to dole out insults.

I sent my letter to Steve Jobs about lowering prices today. I'll be sure to let you know when he gets back to me.