Time capsule has really weak wifi signal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MythicFrost, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

We have high speed cable w/ which plugs straight into a router, the time capsule is plugged into the router, and our printer is connected to the time capsule, unfortunately, the actual Motorola (an old) router that the time capsule is plugged into, is much faster, even 2-3x (perhaps more) faster than the time machine on Wi-Fi, my iPod Touch barely loads anything on it (even right next to it), and my dads iPhone only works on the time capsule network.

(This is 2008 Model time capsule, not the newer 2009 one)

The MB Pro is normally within 3-7 meters of the time capsule,
    I'm not sure why it's so slow, especially when the laptop (MB Pro) is down in the bedroom (maybe 20-25 meters away, in a very open house), it loads incredibly slow!

I'm wondering if this is normal behavior? or are there settings to configure or what?

I was also thinking of getting the newer model, and get an Apple TV, but I'm worried that it might be incredibly slow, based on this previous model we have.

Kind Regards
    Me

2. Snowfoe macrumors newbie

Does your home have solid concrete walls? If it does this could be the problem. I have a friend that has a one story house and all the walls in it are concrete. He tried to make his house wireless but it did not work because of this situation. He could only get a wifi signal in the same room were his router was and no where else in his house! lol

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's brick, not sure about concrete, (although it's wood on in the inside), would this also effect the 'new' time capsule / airbase extreme?

kind Regards
    Me

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

No that's not normal. I would try plugging the internet directly into the time capsule and see if that fixes the problem. It could have something to do with your old router.

Why do you need 2 routers anyway?

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The cable screws into the wireless modem (not router, sorry), then the ethernet cable is connected between the time capsule and the modem.

Kind Regards
    Me

6. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

Of course its not normal.

Is it just the internet that is slow? How quickly can you download to the time machie disk.

IS the network set up right? Have you tried re-building it.

Is the router and the time-capsule both trying to assign IP adresses. You may need to either put the TC in to bridge mode or turn off IP allocation on the modem and let the TC to do it.

How new is the TC by the way? It it is brand new it has dual channel networks so you can run your laptops on 802.11n and the iphones on g. (sorry I just re-read your post and saw its the old one)

Have your read:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Designing_AirPort_Networks_10.5-Windows.pdf

7. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I think it backups up to the time machine very slow, yes it's the older 2008 model, we've had a lot of trouble with it backing up properly from our MBP,

I don't know how to rebuild it, I don't even know how to change any settings like with those IP Addresses, I do for the modem, but not for the time capsule, is there a similar thing to do (I didn't even know there was a bridge mode lol)

I'll read those now...

Edit 1, under Manual setup, I've found several settings under the Wireless tab (the button Wireless options) that might be useful,
    But I am afraid to change anything without knowing what I'm doing, can anyone share shed some light on what these things do?

Edit 2 I've turned bridge mode *on* (under the Internet tab), and I am testing network speed (I think it might be a little better),
    note, under Wireless, the Wireless mode is still set to 'Create wireless network' rather than 'Extend a wireless network', I don't know whether to change it or not

Kind Regards
    Me

8. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

try checking out dslreports.com i have found a lot of great help at that site

9. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks, I will soon.

Edit 3: My internet is OK now, although the signal down the end of the house is really weak for the TC/wireless modem, I don't know why, it will have to do for now.

I still can't change the bridged mode back to Share a public ip address,

because when I click update it says: Correct the two problems below, the two items are listed in a list box, and say... DHCP beginning address, and DHCP ending address,
    The error it gives me at the bottom says:
    the DHCP range you have entered conflicts with the WAN IP address of your Apple Wireless Device...

I just hope I don't have to change it back =D lol

Kind Regards
    Me