Time Capsule: Has the problem been fixed?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aaronchow, Sep 15, 2010.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

I'm planning to expand my wireless network, so I'm deciding whether I should purchase another AEBS or a Time Capsule. I've never had a TC before because I hear so much horror stories about unrecoverable data after it dies. Do you know if Apple has improve the quality of it lately so that it lasts longer? Should I buy it? Or do you recommend me to get an AEBS and get an external harddrive to do my backup manually?

2. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

One more question: if the Time Capsule's hard-drive dies, can I still use it just for the WiFi network (without backing up)? Thanks

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW it's not the HDD that dies, it's the power supply. So far, only the first gen ones are old enough to really tell what the lifetime is... (and it's about 18-24 months).

But yes, you can remove the HDD from a Time Capsule and use it as a WiFi WAP or router.

Also, is Time Machine to AEBS officially supported these days?

B

4. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So you mean it is not possible to create a network in TC and have the AEBS extend it? That really sucks... If this is true, then I guess I will just stick with the AEBS.

thanks for telling me about the power supply thing though. Appreciate it

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Extend is fine, at one point at least you could not put Time Machine backups on USB disks connected to AEBS without some hackery.

B

6. brianus macrumors 6502

I remember that; it was when Leopard was first released -- the AEBS-Time Machine feature was supposed to be supported and it was pulled at the last moment, to the consternation of many. With the subsequent release of Time Capsule many thought the idea had been abandoned; not so. Eventually (like 9 months to a year later, I think) they quietly introduced this feature into the AEBS via a firmware update, and it is officially supported. I use an AEBS for backups from two machines.

7. sawihsiwi macrumors newbie

Time Capsule Troubleshooting

I'm not sure this is the right place, so I apologize in advance.
    I have a network using a Belkin 54g router. I have 1 iMac, 2 laptops and a PS3 all connected to this network. I recently received a Time Capsule and wanted to integrate it into the existing network. However, each time I run the installer all goes well until it needs to restart the TC. At this point the computer hangs, waiting for a reply from the TC until it prompts that the TC failed to connect again. Last time I tried it, it messed up my entire network. Had to restart iMac, restart router (Belkin), unplug ethernet cable (modem-router) until network was re-established.
    First, is there anyway of integrating the TC to an existing network or should I try (again) to setup a new network with TC only? Why is this so damn difficult; all my other Apple products work fine out of the box, but this one... ughhhhhh....

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Id suggest only using the time capsule and ditching the belkin. Belkin does not play nice with anything.

9. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Yeah only the 1st gen TC's have been out long enough to tell