Time Capsule HD Upgrade: Firmware HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whyrichard, Apr 15, 2013.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading our Time Capsule's HD.

I understand that it takes a 3.5" drive, will any 3.5" Drive work?
    Does the HD need special Firmware?
    Can I do this myself?
    Which HD do you recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions!

r.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If its a recent Time Capsule, it just needs to be SATA. I just installed a standard 3TB BARRACUDA 7200 in my three year old Time Capsule. The Time Capsule SMART software was saying the old drive was going bad.

If you are using the capsule light duty, for backing up one or two machines, look for a low power drive. The TC will run much cooler.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's got me thinking.....The 3TB in mine is fine and backs up 2 Macs...My Imac and rMBP...I wonder if you could get away with a WD green 7200...It's not like the drive is working hard anyway...Food for thought if mine does go bad. They all do tend to run a little hot anyway.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've read of several that installed a green or lower power 5200rpm drive and have been happy with the performance. If I recall, the issues had to do with hibernation and spin up times. Some we slow..... now if I could only recall where I read that....

You do have the option to use and external drive (USB) too.

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I bought a 2TB model and immediately after getting home I installed a 3TB Seagate HDD out of a Seagate USB3 external. It worked right away, all I had to do was format the drive from within Airport Utility.