Time Capsule HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DimeTech, Oct 1, 2008.

1. DimeTech macrumors member

If I keep the TC drive mounted, does it stay active? In other words, does it only put the hard drive to sleep when you unmount it? I don't want it to run if im not using it at the moment. Thanks.

2. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

I'm surprised no one knows the answer to this. It seems like a it would be an easy question to answer. basically is it better for me to eject the tc drive or have it continuously mounted? is it bad for it?

3. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Heres my experience...

I kept my TC HDD mounted all the time so that I could have free access to the files without a lot of hassle. It also contained my Itunes music folder, which I used daily.

I just got the replacement for my TC because my hdd failed. Ive had it since March of this year...it made it 6 months...Looking back, I wander if streaming itunes, and leaving it mounted all the time and writing files back and forth caused it to die prematurely...I dont know that it should though...

4. n0de macrumors 6502

I thought Apple had said in the past that the HD's were "server grade".....

The drive must go to sleep at some point though because when I have mine mounted for a long time without access it takes several seconds for finder to open it up when I go to browse it.

Your story makes me a bit nervous since my only copy of my itunes library is on my TC.

5. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I had thought it would be server grade enough to last awhile...Itunes agreed to let me redownload my songs, that were available, but havent been modified or changed. I dont know how many songs I had, nor do I know how many were lost at this point. I am now in the process of reburning my 200 cds...Im not a happy camper :(

Back up your Library Now! As soon as Itunes let me redownload it, thats exactly what I did.