Time Capsule Hell

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shkrbby, Mar 4, 2008.

1. shkrbby macrumors newbie

Please can anyone help me setup my new Time Capsule as I am going out of my little mind?

Okay this is my setup, I have BT Home Hub wireless broadband, a Macbook, and the time capsule (TC). My Macbook and broadband are fine and have been for months talking together wirelessly but now I want to add the Time Capsule to the network for backing up my Macbook. Ideally I want everything to be wireless from each other. Ok so I tried to initailly setup the Time Capsule wirelessly but after installing the Airport Utility from the CD ROM that came with the Time Capsule and plugging in the TimeCapsule to power socket my Macbook won't see the Time Capsule which just flashes the amber light. Next I tried plugging in the TC via ethernet to the BT Broadband and try to get the Macbook to see the TC wirelessly. Still no joy. So lastly I plugged the TC directlyinto the Macbook and tried to rescan... still nothing.

For the love of God can someone please please tell me what I am doing wrong. I thought this was all supposed to be plugin and backup. :((

Thanks in advance to all help.

David.

2. rittchard macrumors 6502

You probably already did this, but try rebooting your computer and make absolutely sure you have Airport Utility 5.3 running. When I first installed, I noticed the version didn't actually change...

3. shkrbby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I think I have worked out what I was doing wrong. Apparently the Time Capsule has to be plugged directly into the the Home hub wall socket before you do anything for it to pick up the original wireless routes config.

I think that should be better explained in the docs but there you go.
    :)