Time Capsule Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jstotts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jstotts macrumors newbie

I've been running a time capsule for some time now via ethernet to do backups more quickly than over the wifi. Recently, I moved and I was able to connect to the TC via ethernet and I changed some of the settings to turn the wireless off (as there is free wireless in my new place), but now I can't see the TC when I'm connected to it via ethernet. Does anyone have an idea for how I can make it appear as a connected server again?

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

So is your mac connected wirelessly to your place's free wireless and also hardwired into the time capsule?

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), you have free wifi in your place, thus disabling your Time Capsule's wireless radio but still connecting to it via ethernet, while connecting to the free wifi for your Internet correct? If that's the case, and if your Time Capsule is indeed NOT part of the free wifi network, then the only way you'll be able to see your Time Capsule is to either disconnect from the wifi (turn off AirPort or disconnect from the free wifi network), or temporarily move your ethernet connection to the top of the priority list in your Internet Connections. The problem with either is that you won't be able to access the Internet while you're connected to the Time Capsule for what I assume is backup purposes. If you wish to continue using the free wifi and Time Capsule simultaneously, you'll either have to bridge your Time Capsule to that router or join as a wireless client. As far as I know, it's not possible to connect to two networks at the same time.