Time capsule help please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imac wannabe, Sep 21, 2011.

1. imac wannabe macrumors regular

Hi all!,

My first Mac is on the way...2011 iMac fwiw.

I also just came home with 2tb Time Capsule. I'm ready to back up my pc but want advice on backup software. If I just throw the files on the :z drive will the new iMac figure it out in the migration process. Any help or advice would be appreciated...Thx!

Paul

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Are you trying to use the Time Capsule as an intermediary between your PC and Mac? Like, you want move your PC files onto the TC then off of it to your Mac?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

4. imac wannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Yes sir. I know the new mac will migrate from windows but I would prefer to send files to tc then to imac when it arrives. Thanks for the reply:)

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can manually move the files around like that, but the Mac Migration Assistant app won't be able to automatically move your PC files from the TC and put them in the proper places on your Mac for you (like it can if you let it connect directly to your Windows machine), AFAIK.

6. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

You can manually trasnfer to the tc and then to the Mac, but Im not sure if the tc comes formatted FAT. If it comes HFS, you will need to format FAT first so Windows can comunicate with it.

Secondly, when conecting to the Mac, do not format again before you trasnfer your data to the mac. Afterwards, in order to be compatible with Time Machine, you will need to format Time Capsule into HFS.

BTW, Time Machine is your best backup option and its insanely easy to upgrade hard drives with Time Machine, and its already there.

Had you not bought that Time capsule, I would recomend getting WD Backup, it comes with WD hard drives.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can't format the drive in the TC to a different file system, and since you access it only over the network (ie you can't plug it directly into a computer like you would an external drive), you don't need to. :)

8. imac wannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Ok fellas I'm going to take your advice and just leave this sit until the new iMac comes. I will say the tc was very easy to set up for the pc including a non-networked MFP with Bonjour. Every time I work with this stuff it reminds me why I went with a Mac this time;)

Paul

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hey, if you're still going to keep the PC around, it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw your important files out to the Z: drive as a backup! (That way you can play while you're waiting...) :D