Time capsule help.......

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danhercules, Jul 6, 2011.

1. danhercules macrumors member

I have the time capsule. I was told its not only a wireless unit for my computer, but backup and storage. My laptop has next to no space left. How do I get my info stored on the time capsule and free up my laptop. Sorry if I am not using the right lingo, but I am not that computer wise.

Thanks in advance.

2. sleinad macrumors member

You need to decide what you want to move, and what takes up all that space.
    For example, I would move my iTunes Library to the time capsule, because I mainly listen to my computers iTunes Library when I'm home.

What takes up most of your space, and what are you willing to leave "at home" when you are using your laptop elsewhere?

Also, if you use a iPhoto, you can think about moving the iPhone library to the external drive.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Time capsule only saves what is on your computer. If you delete something from your computer it will be deleted from the time machine backup. You should get an external and save the new documents to that then backup up the whole to time capsule.ß

4. sleinad macrumors member

You don't have to use Time Capsule as Time Machine. You can use it as a external drive that is hooked up to the local network. Also, you can partition the Time Capsule, the get "several" external hard drives on the network.

5. danhercules thread starter macrumors member

I have lots of iphoto pics, lots of itunes movies, and music. I also have a older Apple TV. I use my music, pics and videos at home with the Apple TV. I dont "NEED" the pics and movies on my laptop. The music would be nice to keep on my lap top.

I also have a second external HD that I can plug into time capsule for more space.

Where are the setting for this?

6. sleinad macrumors member

Well, if those pictures are in iPhoto, you can relocate the iPhoto library by simply following this tutorial.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=324516 (You can find your iPhoto Library in your pictures folder)