Time Capsule Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scotty3x3, Sep 12, 2011.

1. scotty3x3 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Looked around but couldn't find a section for Apple networking equipment so I thought this would be the best place to post.

I have a 2nd Generation 500GB Time Capsule and need a bit of assistance.

The FIOS router that I was given is only 100mbit. I have a NAS connected to my Time Capsule which I would like to run at gigabit. If I change the Time Capsule from 'Auto' to 'Gigbait' my internet connection drops because the FIOS router doesn't support it.

An easy fix is to get FIOS to change the router for me, but in the interest of saving time and learning, is it possible to set the ports of the Time Capsule to operate at different speeds? I.E. Can I set the uplink port to operate at 100mbit and all the others to operate at gigabit speeds?

I have googled for a while and haven't found anything related to this particular question.

Any help is appreciated! :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The WAN port of a TC or AEBS is always separate from the LAN ports. You can do whatever you like to the LAN ports without forcing the WAN port to gigabit. I have a motorola roadrunner cablemodem that can only do 100 mbps (not that Comcast would ever support speeds that high). I have never had a problem with it "dropping" but I've never changed any of the default settings on either my TC (which I no longer use as a router) or my AEBS which is the best router I've ever used. So to answer your question, I think you might try restoring factory defaults and starting over. Only this time don't monkey around with link speed settings. One thing I like about Apple gear is it "just works" and I'm confident the factory setting is for the uplink port to operate at a different speed than LAN ports.

I also have a gigabit switch. I only use one LAN port on my AEBS and it is connected to my gigabit switch. From there, all my other devices are connected so they can share files at gigabit speeds. If you find you are still having issues, I suggest a separate gigabit switch. They are relatively inexpensive. In fact, I priced a 24 port gigabit switch and found they are outrageously expensive but I could grab 8 port switches for around $50 (? It's been a while) and simply daisy chain them.

3. scotty3x3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the problem that I am running into is that it seems as if the router and the NAS are not communicating at the gigabit speeds that they both support. I did not change any link speed settings are anything like that. That is actually what I am trying to find out is possible to avoid buying another gigabit switch.

The only thing that I changed was the 'overall' operation speed of the TC. There is a setting in the AirPort Utility that allows me to set the TC to 'Auto' or 10/100/1000. I thought that maybe if I change it from Auto to 1000, this might resolve the slow transfer speeds between the TC and the NAS. When I changed the TC to 1000, I lost my internet connection because the FIOS modem only supports 100mbit. So changing this particular setting in the AirPort Utility changed all ports (uplink included) on the TC to gigabit instead of allowing me to change the 'switch' without changing 'uplink'.

So I guess the question is, am I expecting too much for a lowly home networking device or can I have the uplink at 100 and the switch at 1000?

Hope that makes more sense.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

In my Airport Utility (AEBS) I see a setting for Ethernet WAN port. I can make it 10, 100, 1000 among others or Automatic. I don't see a setting for the other ports. I would suggest you put the setting on Automatic. Sometimes a slow speed NAS is caused by the software in the NAS. There are a lot of cheap NAS drives that have gigabit ethernet but some slow dawg OS that takes a long time to transfer data.

Perhaps a trip to smallnetworkbuilder.com to see what they think of your NAS drive might help. I should warn you the smallnetworkbuilder folks don't think too highly of Apple gear and if they test it with old firmware and it scores poorly, they don't bother to go back and retest it if newer faster firmware comes out.