Time Capsule Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by relax007, Dec 3, 2014.

1. relax007 macrumors newbie

Once my TC backs up my computer, can I delete files from my computer to clear up space, and they will still be saved on my TC? I know the TC updates itself, so I'm not sure if when updating if it saw a deleted file it would also delete it. Also, I would like to backup the info. that is on an external hard drive.

How do I get that to the Time Capsule? Thanks for the help.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Time Machine will only begin to delete old backups when the Time Capsule drive is nearly full. External hard drives can be backed up in your Time Machine backups or excluded in System Preferences. To access Time Machine, either click the icon in the menu bar, the icon which may be in the Dock, or the icon in Launchpad. If you simply need to use the Time Capsule as a external drive, you may select it from the Finder side bar.

3. relax007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have multiple computers backed up on the TC. How do I access those files from one computer? All I see is previous screens, so screen with specific folders on them.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not entirely sure what you are asking. To access Time Machine from each computer you would simply use the Time Machine icon in the menu bar. When you enter Time Machine, you will see a Finder window where you can navigate to find the location of the files at which point you can use the time slider on the right to go back in time. If you only want to see the actual back up files, which are contained in a sparse bundle, you may view it via the Finder side bar.

5. relax007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that's the problem. I don't see the TC in the menu bar. If I access TC all I see is old basically screenshots of my computer, but I would like to access the stuff that I put on there from my other computer. Thanks for the help.

----------

I think I figured it out. I found the TC icon, and clicked on it, then I was able to load the disk and go through the files.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When entering Time Machine, it will only view your machines files. The Time Machine icon looks like a clock with an arrow going backwards around it.

7. Mikael H macrumors 6502

This is not the intended use for a Time Capsule. As noted, the TC will begin overwriting old backups when it fills up, so do not confuse TC with a file archive.

If you have files that you want to save, but which you won't be using, store them on archive grade DVD or BR discs and put the discs in a cool and dark place for safekeeping.
    If you have files you need to access regularly, but which you just don't want on your primary hard drive, put them on an external drive.

When it comes to backing up your external drive to TC, Time Machine should try to backup your entire computer except what's in the exclude-list in the Time Machine options. Just keep an eye out so your external drive data isn't larger than the available space on the TC...