Time Capsule: Horizontal or vertical?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shrewdude, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Shrewdude macrumors newbie

I have seen some wall mounts for the Time Capsule.
    Will these improve the wireless signal?

I am not certain it's a good thing to place the TC in a vertical position because of the antenna layout and for HD operation.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I've resurrected this old thread that got no response because I want to know the same thing.

I plan to get a Time Capsule in the not-too-distant future and was wondering if it could be mounted vertically (on a wall). My existing Airport Extreme base station came with a bracket that allows this. However, the Time Capsule has a hard drive, which might not be designed to operate vertically. The manual doesn't seem to address this.

Does anyone know if the Time Capsule is designed such that it can be mounted vertically on a wall as opposed to horizontally on a shelf?

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Think about the iMacs -- those HDD operate vertically :)

I don't see it as a problem with the HDD.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response.

While I know that hard drives are generally designed to work horizontally or vertically, I don't know that it's a safe assumption that all can be used in this fashion without any issues. Furthermore, I would have some concern about cooling. The Time capsule appears to me to be a device which might "care" how it's oriented for proper cooling (maybe it's just the fact that AppleTV gets so hot that I wouldn't dare to store it on its side).

It seems to me that, with something like this, it ought to be specified how it can/should be mounted.

In doing some Google searches, I found this page which sells mounts to do exactly what I'd like to do:
    http://h-sq.com/products/airmount/index.html

In their FAQs, they indicate that it's okay. I would be interested in feedback from users who have done this.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

How is cooling any different if you mount its butt on the wall or you sit its butt on a table?

Heat rises either way!

6. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Exactly. If you mount it horizontally, the top is large and the heat can get to the top very quickly without traveling though a bunch of components. If you mount it vertically, one of the sides becomes the top. Not only is it much smaller (making a less effective heat sink), but the heat has to travel through the entire depth of the box, potentially raising the temperature of the components it meets along the way.

7. KenOzz macrumors member

KenOzz

Yes the H-Squared Mount works really well, the TC runs cool and wireless range is very good, both my iMac and macbook back up to it without problem

Its mounted in my hall and at night the green status light, illuminates the wall looks really good

It cost me a bit to get one over here in the UK but as been well worth it ;)

Attached Files:

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Why are you posting the same thing in multiple several year old threads?

9. KenOzz macrumors member

KenOzz

Sorry if I have offended you :(

I just thought it may interest the original OP's I didn't relise that it would result in such a abrupt reply

Peace and good will to you :cool: