Time Capsule, how can you forwarding port?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matrix07, Dec 12, 2011.

1. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Even though this is not supported, I'm sure someone here will be able to do it. A lot of people use it as their main router, surely they can not live without port-forwarding? :p

Also, do you have problem when connecting Mac (5 GHz) and iDevices (2.4 GHz) at the same time (slow speed)?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sure it's supported (page 49 of this PDF). It's called Port Mapping instead of Port Forwarding.

And no, there are no issues since these are two separate radios. They are entirely different bands, so one device joining one band has no impact on the speed of a device joining another band. However, if a wireless G device were to join the 2.4 GHz band, any wireless N devices on the 2.4 GHz band would suffer a bit of a speed decrease when the wireless G device was accessing the network.

3. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Damn.. Talking about reviewer didn't know what they're talking about.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/apple-time-capsule-2tb/4505-3382_7-34837269.html#reviewPage1

Thanks. That's a relief. I guess this is automatic, not something user need to configure?

4. Heavertron macrumors regular

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

You're quite welcome :)

By default, yes it is automatic. The Time Capsule broadcasts on both frequencies simultaneously and gives them the same SSID and password. The device will then switch between the two depending on which is the strongest signal (usually, sometimes this doesn't always work).

You can control which band your devices join by giving the 5GHz band a unique SSID (password stays the same). It's in the advanced options in AirPort Utility. I'm in the habit of appending "(5GHz)" to the name of my other SSID for easy distinction. This gives you greater control, but your device might not seamlessly switch to the 2.4GHz band if the 5GHz band is too weak.

With most applications including Internet browsing, you may not see a noticeable benefit to being on the 5GHz band. However if you're streaming high definition movies, moving large files across Wi-Fi, etc., you'll definitely benefit from ensuring your wireless N devices are strictly on the 5GHz band.

6. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you skorpien. You're more helpful than Apple geniuses.
    I won't transfer very large files over network so I guess I'll leave it automatic then.
    (bookmarked this thread for reference later.)

----------

Thank you for information. :thumb up: