Time Capsule: How is it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by arsenalgear, Dec 27, 2008.

1. arsenalgear macrumors member

Hi there,

I am thinking about getting Time Capsule and was wondering what people thought of it. I read some reviews on Amazon where individuals lose internet and their disk, and the unit has to be frequently reset. Has anyone here experienced problems like these? Do they still occur?

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I did, but found that keeping the name of the TC short helps.

Personally, if I could change my mind, I would. The biggest benefit to the TC is backing up multiple macs over WiFi... other than that it's not amazing.

It may work better if it were just one or two machines at most, but when you have three like me, there are some issues.

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It varies from users to users. If you're lucky you may not encounter any problems at all or if you're unlucky you may encounter many problems. The only thing I like about the TM is how it can back up your files wirelessly. Other than that it's kind of a bit expensive of this "machine"

4. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I love mine and it has been rock solid since I got it. It's great knowing both laptops are always backed up.

5. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

It is great as a TM backup device for multiple Macs. I backed up 4 Macs to it and now it is running down on space so I will upgrade to a 1TB disk unit soon.

As a primary router, it is so-so. Yes, you do have to reboot it now and again. I do that weekly as it can get "stuck" in internet access. Sometimes, I need to reboot it twice. If you already have an internet router, you might keep it and use the TC as a backup device and bridge it to the router using wired gigE. Its 802.11n @ 5Ghz wideband performance is outstanding!. 9Mbytes/s baby!.

Of course, one would keep a USD disk or two for secondary backups of TM. This I do monthly. I find restoring from USD2 TM is fastest if needed.:)

6. AeroStud1026 macrumors member

AeroStud1026

Honestly for the right price you can do a homemade version of TC. Just buy Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS for short) and a USB External HD, plug the external into the AEBS and there you go. Homemade TC. You can do that for less than the $300 price tag for the 500GB and alot less than the $500 price tag for the 1TB.

Your probably looking at a 40-50 dollar savings if you go for the 500GB ($179 for the AEBS and the typical price for the HD according to newegg.com is around $80-85 bucks) and at least a 200 dollar savings if you go the 1TB route ($179 AEBS and $130 would be the typical price for 1TB according to newegg.com)

7. mas90guru macrumors member

Way over-priced for what you get. I'm presently wasting time looking for reasons why my iMac suddenly is "preparing" forever in Time Machine and can't connect (or say's "connecting to backup volume" ).

Seems that many of the patches and "fixes" Apple have issued concern Time Machine and Time Capsule.

I would not buy it again.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's quite slow in the first backup and as a network router it's quite slow compared to others.