Time Capsule: how long does it last?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jakobben, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Jakobben macrumors newbie

I read some time ago that the Time Capsule had a tendency to run hot a simply crash/overheat, resulting in a lot of nervous and angry customers.

How are the newer gens of TCs doing in this regard?

Was it only the first gen that had this problem?

Thanks in advance!!

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep, after they came out with the dual band time capsules, they seem to have fixed the HDD problems. Mine's almost 2 years old and still going strong, fingers crossed. It's been on 24/7 since the day I got it.

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

How does the time capsule compare to a conventional NAS unit?

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

It doesn't. The Time Capsule was never intended to be a full featured NAS. It's meant as a router with an HDD built in for Time Machine backups. The transfer rates, either wired or wirelessly, are significantly lower than that of a NAS. Not to mention NAS units come with features that aren't a part of the Time Capsule (uPNP, iTunes Server, FTP, etc.)

If you need a router and a Time Machine drive, the Time Capsule is a perfect solution. If you need a NAS, you should get a NAS. There are even NAS units out now that support Time Machine backups too.

6. Moocher macrumors regular

Get a cheap USB fan, plug it into a Time Capsule, aim it at the TC, and it'll last a long time. My gen 1 TC always had a fan on it and it's still running like a champ (now with a 1.5TB WD green drive).

Mooch

7. scarred macrumors 6502a

A quick Google search not only came up empty, but noted that Lion and NAS and Time Machine don't play nicely together at all.

Do you have a NAS in mind that supports Time Machine, iTunes Server, etc.?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

The Synology DS211j supports Time Machine and is a very robust NAS from what I've heard. I can't speak for Lion compatibility, but I can't imagine Synology would tout Time Machine support as a feature and not have a fix either in the works or implemented.