Time Capsule How long does it take for 500GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iZiv, May 22, 2008.

1. iZiv macrumors newbie

I have almost 500GB of video that I'd like to back up first onto my computer's internal drive and then from my internal hard drive onto time capsule.

A) how long will it take to put the videos onto my computer?
    B) how long will it take for time capsule to back up said videos?

I have a new iMac 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo

4GB of memory

1TB of hard drive space

firewire 800

any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

howdy, well backing up onto your computer will go at about 40-60mbps. so copying 500gb could take about 3.5hours.

how are you connected to time capsule??

if you are conencted via 802.11n 5.8ghz then it will copy at about 30mbps, (about 5 hours).
    if you are connected via 802.11n at 2.4ghz then it will copy at about 7mbps, (about 12 hours).
    if you are connected via 1000mbps ethernet then it will copy at about 40-60mbps, (about 3.5 hours).

so yea, i would recommend ethernet as it is much much faster. you will definately have to leave it overnight.

3. iZiv thread starter macrumors newbie

Where would i look to find out how I'm connected? All I know i that I have a firewire 800.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if your connected via wireless, go to applications>utilities>network utility (or find it via spotlight).

this program helps you identify lots of things about network interfaces.

the main window that comes up will allow you to see what interface your using.

to identify what your using (if its wireless you will probably be using en1). if you select en1 from the drop down menu it will tell you the:
    • link speed
    • model.

if you post these here then i can tell you what your running...

to the other firewire 800 comment, if you connect your HD via firewire to your iMac then it will copy at around 70-80mbps. this will dramatically reduce the time to copy to your imac, but it cannot help to reduce the time needed to copy to TimeCapsule, as timecaspule doesnt have a firewire port.

5. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Aren't these theoretical speeds, with actual speeds 1/10 of these? Otherwise I need another airport extreme as Ive got N enabled at 5ghz and I need to be 10times faster at least.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i quoted in megaBYTES... meaning that the output will be actual speeds. more practical