Time Capsule: How to disable local snapshots altogether?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lip5016, Jul 11, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

hey guys, so I recently bought the Apple Time Capsule (2TB) wireless router/backup .. it's super cool, but it's a serious pain in the ass that over time, it creates a MASSIVE local snapshot (backup) on my Macintosh HD .. when I click on the Apple logo, and look at "About This Mac" and then go over to "Storage", the storage sector usually represents over 300gb!!

I use my machine for audio processing/engineering, so I like to keep it as barebones and clean as possible .. also, sometimes, I need to temporarily store huge files (>400gb) on my Macintosh HD for quick purposes.. with all this space taken up in backups, this becomes a huge issue for me..

I currently use a Lacie 1TB external hard drive to store pretty much all my audio samples, projects, documents, etc.. and I usually like to have my Time Capsule set so that it makes a complete backup of BOTH my Macintosh HD, as well as my 1TB Lacie External, since I use them both extremely frequently..

is there any way to enable Time Capsule backups, but disable local snapshots/backups? please tell me there is a solution! thanks! :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To disable local snapshots from Time Machine issue this command in the terminal:
    sudo tmutil disablelocal