Time Capsule-how to specify files to save

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ljrkrispes, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ljrkrispes macrumors member

I have a TIme Capsule that supports 4 machines. I just want to back up the Address Book, iPhoto, iTunes from the Mac side and Quicken for Windows form my Parallels side. I can't seem to find a way to do this....any suggestions? Thanks...

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

In Time Machine it automatically backs up everything. All you can do is specify things NOT to backup.

It gets tricky when backing up virtual machines (like from Parallels), and they can actually fill up a backup quickly (whatever the partition size is, let's say 30GB, gets backed up for changes every hour).

What you should do is exclude everything but your user folder. It has your Music folder, your Pictures folder, and iCal and Address book data are all stored in your user's Library folder (in Application Support, and also I believe they each have their own specific folders within the Library folder).

For Quicken, just save it to a folder on the desktop in Windows, and drag that folder to the external drive on the Mac side every time you are done. The Parallels tools allow you to drag and drop files between the two OS's (if your parallels saves it's vm in a folder in your user folder, I would disable it from Time Machine as well).

On a tm backup, all of the specific files are stoed in a tm.backup (or whatever) folder on the external drive. You can save anything you want outside of that folder without messing with the backup.