Time Capsule + iCloud

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by unobtainium, Jan 31, 2012.

1. unobtainium macrumors 68020

News reports on various sites have stated that Apple's updated AirPort firmware and AirPort Utility include not only a new UI and bug fixes, but also "iCloud support for Time Capsule"? But from browsing through Apple's support site and looking into it here and elsewhere, I can't figure out exactly what they mean. Can I access my TC disk from anywhere through iCloud? And if so, how do I do it? Any clarification/help would be greatly appreciated!

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You can enter your iCloud account information on your Time Capsule (or airport extreme) and then access the shared resources on a Mac running Lion that has you logged into iCloud.

You can access printers as well as shared files this way.

Unfortunately, right now you can only access these on a Mac using 10.7. There is no iCloud web interface (like dropbox) that I know of.

Documentation about how this works would be nice (hint, Apple).

3. unobtainium thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info! Yes, a web interface would be extremely handy...hopefully some day soon.

4. cplush macrumors member

can you access a shared printer that isn't directly connected to the TC? for example, i recently ordered an airport express for a printer to link it to my TC and thus my MBA...Im guessing i would be able to get to it through the TC.....

5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep, if it's AirPrint capable, my new Epson ( SX535DW ) is visible to all my devices.

My AE is acting as an extender, but it too can see the printer.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This may be nice if iCloud actually did something. As far as I know, iCloud is functionless on all devices except for iOS devices (iPods, iPhones, and iPads). It would be nice if it at least allowed you to store actual files.