Time Capsule ideal for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drtanz, Apr 14, 2013.

1. drtanz macrumors member

I have two Macbooks and two external drives and I need to have everything backed up, so I'm thinking of getting me a time capsule.

On the external drives I store music and photos, and I connect them from time to time to either of my Macbooks.

How would I have things set up with regards to the external drive so they get backed up when connected to the macs? I would like the external drive backups to be separate from the backups of the macbooks' internal drives. Is that how things work by default?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not by default. I think you can only have one time machine set up on a MAC, but you can include the external drive in the backup if its formatted as Mac extended journaled. That's not exactly what you want.

I use Time Machine to backup the computer's hard drive and Carbon Copy Cloner to back up the external drives (all to the same Time Capsule Disk). There are dozens of ways to do it. I use CCC for the backup because I also use CCC to create a bootable image from my computers internal hard drive once in awhle, makes for quicker recovery should the drive fail.