Time Capsule - I'm baffled

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by webpoet73, Dec 30, 2010.

1. webpoet73 macrumors regular

I am getting low data rates and extremely low internet speeds when using anything 2.4GHz range. If I put it on N-only 5GHz, things are solid.

I have a mixed g/n network. I can't exactly put it on n-only and all be well.

I have seen data rates as low as 1 even when in the same room as the TC.

I have a cheap TrendNET router that I just tried. It is getting better internet speeds when using a b/g/n mixed mode.

That being said, is my TC headed for trouble? I have toyed with running all g devices off of the TrendNET router and all n devices off of the TC (in 5GHz mode). I briefly had success trying to this the other night, however, i lost access to the TrendNET's setup page.

How should I proceed? Would getting a new AE and not a new TC be a better option than running 2 routers? I will lose my TM backup... or I could keep the TC just for TM backups and disable internet on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Single or dual-band TC?

I bought a cheap Netgear to serve my 2 g iPhones amd Wii in the house, having my AEBS serve up only n 5GHz speeds....I only have a single band AEBS obviously.

3. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

single-band. it's a first gen 500GB TC. 2.5 years old now.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Yea, my AEBS is almost 4 years old.

Can you not run the extra router you have like I do, to serve those g-items exclusively?

I found that doing the b/g/n at 2.4GHz started getting 'wonky' for me and I assume some neighbor had gotten something that caused me interference from time to time. Since I went exclusively 5GHz 'n' I had no issues....although I did have to spend a few bucks on the new router. :(

I expect to buy a new AEBS within the next 18 months...dual band of course...although perhaps by then I won't have any more g-devices?

EDIT: Some issues can be cleared-up by doing a 'factory reset', although it sounds like your 5/n service is working fine. I assume assigning the g to the other router will serve you well.

5. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Download iStumbler and see if you are competing with someone else on the same 2.4 gHz channel or there is a lot of interference. Change the channel to see if it improves. If not I would get an new AEBS with dual channel or run the trendnet for the G devices as suggested.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can disable DHCP on either one of the routers, having one primary one and one act as a wireless access point.

To do so on the Time Capsule is quite easy using AirPort Utility - just disable internet sharing. Then connect the Time Capsule to one of your TrendNET's LAN ports and everything should work properly. Then you can set the TrendNET to run in mixed b/g/n mode and the Time Capsule in 5GHz n only.

The other alternative would be to disable DHCP on the TrendNET, but depending on the router's settings, it may prove more difficult. If you do go this route, your TrendNET's settings page will be whichever IP is assigned to it by your Time Capsule (ie, 10.0.1.xxx).

7. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

The TC is running in "bridge mode." The cable modem is providing the DHCP, I assume.

It would be cheaper to use the equipment that I have, but in the long run... would I be better off with a new AEBS? Or even a different brand that has simultaneous dual-band?

I changed the TrendNET to turn off DHCP. I connected the TrendNET router to on of the ethernet ports. I turned the TC into n-only (5GHz) and connected my iPod touch to the TrendNET router. In doing so, even wired, I couldn't get to the router's configuration page any longer.

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Why disable DHCP when you can just run the Trendnet purely in 2.4GHz g or b/g mode and keep the TC in 5 GHz n mode?

When I set my system up, I don't believe there was anything I needed to do with the AEBS other than make is a 5GHz n only router....no mucking with DHCP I don't think. This sounds like more than is needed...I assume it's because you are allowing both the Trendnet and TC to serve the g-band devices?

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

No. Disabling the DHCP on the Time Capsule allows both to be on the same subnet, with the TrendNET serving IP addresses. This way, devices connecting to the 5GHz band broadcast by the Time Capsule will be able to communicate with devices joined to the 2.4GHz band, including the TrendNET router itself. I assume the reason the OP lost the ability to administer the TrendNET router is because his computer was joined to the network created by the Time Capsule which was on a different subnet than the one created by the TrendNET.

For example, TrendNET's default IP is 192.168.1.1 (just an assumption) and any devices joined to it are given IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.xxx, including the Time Capsule. If the Time Capsule is also acting as a DHCP server, it gives itself an internal IP of 10.0.1.1 (by default) and any devices connected to it will have an IP address in the range of 10.0.1.xxx. So an MBP connected to the TC with an IP address of 10.0.1.xxx will not be able to communicate with a device with an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx

With the Time Capsule's DHCP server disabled, any devices connecting to its SSID will be assigned IP addresses by the TrendNET router (192.168.1.xxx) and thus be able to communicate with other devices joined to the 2.4GHz SSID.

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

If the TC is in bridge mode, the TrendNET has to be the DHCP server. The cable modem, unless it is a modem/router combo, will not have that ability.

Your setup should work, but as I stated earlier, your TrendNET's settings page will be its new IP address as assigned by the Time Capsule. The best thing to do is to manually assign the TrendNET router a static IP within the 10.0.1.xxx subnet but out of the range of numbers the Time Capsule distributes (ie, 10.0.1.255 as the TC will by default not distribute IP addresses that high). Then you can access the TrendNET's settings page using 10.0.1.255 in your browser window.

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

Thanks for that info. I think I will try this, because naturally when I went to my new seperate setup, I lost the ability for my iPhone Remote App to control my ATV....since there are now on different networks. What you are saying, if I understand correctly, is that g devices will see n devices and vice versa if done your way?

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

Exactly. I used to have a setup similar to yours with my iPhone on the 2.4GHz band and my ATV on my 5GHz band created by two different routers and I was able to control my ATV using my iPhone with no issues at all.

13. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

I need to disable the DHCP on TrendNET router? And then assign it a static IP? Turn on n-only 5GHZ on the TC and then a/b/g on the TrendNET.

14. skorpien macrumors 68020

You need to first figure out which of the two will be your primary router. Then you'll need to disable DHCP on the secondary router.

Plug the primary router into your cable modem and the secondary router into your primary router.

If your TrendNET is your secondary router and you wish to make administration easier, give the TrendNET a static IP address.

-or-

If the Time Capsule is the secondary router, there's no need to give it a static IP. It should be easy to administer the TC since AirPort Utility automatically detects AirPort Base Stations.

And yes, I recommend setting the Time Capsule as 802.11n only (5GHz) and the TrendNET as 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4GHz).

15. red41 macrumors regular

Out of curiosity did this issue start happening after the latest update? I have a 1tb Time Capsule and my internet is been extremely slow today since I downloaded the recent update. My transfer rates and internet speed test haven't changed, just my internet page loads.

I also made some changes to my file sharing permissions after hooking up a AppleTV so I thought that might have been it, but I don't see how that would affect my internet speeds.

16. mikeyr0x macrumors member

I've been having the same problems with local network speeds on my TC. I'll see a max of 2mbps between my laptop and an hdd attached to my TC. I also have xfers over 2gb fail often. Network is secure and I'm aware of all devices on it. I'm going to try 5ghz N only today to see if it improves. I had this problem before and after the most recent firmware upgrade.

17. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

It did start happening, but I reverted to 7.4.1 and it didn't improve. I got my devices separated onto separate routers and the transfer rates on the N-only (5GHz) seems to be pretty stable. And in most cases, the transfer rates on the b/g (2.4GHz) devices improved as well, but I still think there is some interference from around here. That is an issue when living in apartments or in my case, a townhome..

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My First Gen 500 GB TC died unceremoniously a couple of weeks after it started to show similar signs of excruciatingly slow connections. I suspect now that I have taken it apart that it was caused by the failing power supply, either in that the PS was not putting out the right voltage/current or that it was generating enough noise to interfere with itself.

You might want to consider the external power brick mod.

B

19. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

I separated them out. Getting next to 0 speeds according to the speed test app on my iPod.

I d/l iStumbler and it looks like my router should be free and clear. I want to try and AEBS...

But, will that really help me? I supplied an attachment from iStumbler.

Attached Files:

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

21. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

So, what you are saying is that the power supply of the TC is casing the interference on my 2.4GHz network? No matter if it is on the TC or on the TrendNET router?

When I first set this up, I was getting excellent speeds on the 2.4GHz network. It's just the past day and a half that it has failed....

The n-only 5GHz network (running on the TC) is working perfectly.

I ordered a refurbished AEBS (current generation) hoping this will fix the situation (and allowing me to consolidate down to a single route using the dual-band option).

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What I'm saying is that the poor speed on the 2.4 GHz network you are experiencing is what I noticed as the first symptom about two weeks before my power supply was just about to give up the ghost. I got home one day and it was dead. No lights.

i could be right up next to the TC and get lousy throughput. I didn't see anything obvious in iStumbler either, I looked as I suspected there was some new source of interference involved.

I didn't really need the range extension in this house so I replaced it with a wired switch.

B

23. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

So, I bought an AEBS. I have it setup with simultaneous dual-band (plus a guest network...) and the problem still exists. I have tried all three main channels (1,6,11) and 11 seems to give the least problems.

I read on Wikipedia that Bluetooth devices could also interfere with 2.4GHz band. I have a new iMac with BT keyboard and mouse that are in close proximity to the AEBS. Could moving the AEBS help? It has to stay in the same room (not possible to move).

The 2.4GHz devices see about 8 to 8Mbps (at the end of the speed test. The start very slow and ramp up), whereas my 5GHz devices are getting the full 20Mbps that I am getting from my ISP.

This doesn't feel like the TC was the issue at all. Maybe it's Apple routers?

Would going back to 7.5.1 be advisable? I understand that interferance robustness still exists in that firmware.

Perhaps one of my settings is off. See attachments.

Attached Files:

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

These things can be very weird and hard to debug.

I had a problem some years back that my DSL would go to pot completely in the evening. Turned out the halogen torchiere was causing interference in the wired network.

B

25. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

I am out of ideas. I tried interference robustness. Increased signal strength, but not throughput. I have tried turning off bluetooth and turning off the both BT devices (keyboard and magic mouse) and it got better but still not to the level that it should be. I have got the same speeds with both BT devices on and connected.

I would ask this question: Should the router be located on the first floor or second floor? Right now, it is on the second floor. It is not possible to move it to the first floor, but could explain my issues.

I have seen data rates (as reported the Airport Utility) from as low as 1 to as high as 145 on my Macbook on the 2.4GHz network.

For the Radio mode, I have it set to Automatic (which sets it to 802.11 a/n - 80211.b/g/n). The other option is 802.11a - 802.11b/g. I have only 1 n device that is 2.4GHz (iPod touch). Would changing the radio help? I have tried channels 1, 6, and 11. 6 and 11 (mostly 11) gives the best results. Changing the channel (set to 11) probably won't help any further.

Under wireless options: I have the multicast rate as "High." Transmit power "100%" and wide channels is checkmarked.

I restored it back to the current 7.5.2 firmware version.

I do live in a highly dense area and there are numerous networks around me. I used iStumber and found that my signal strength is around 50% and noise is around 13%.

Internet g speeds are around 2 to 15 (wide range) and n speeds are almost always around 20 (the same as wired iMac).

I have 3 devices on the 2.4GHz network (2 ipods and a wii and sometimes a PS3), I have 3 devices on the 5GHz network (Macbook, iPad, appletv and sometimes xbox 360).

Maybe my network is overloaded?