Time Capsule in addition to wireless router already on the network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by keviig, Jun 7, 2012.

1. keviig macrumors 6502

I've had iPhones and iPads since the first ones came out, and i figured that now that the new macs are about to (hopefully) be released i'd give it a try. However, if i am to do so, i would like to buy a Time Capsule to back it up, and also to use it as a wireless router, as the one upstairs barely gives any signal in my room. This is the way it's set up:

Internet provider "box" --> Router upstairs (cisco) --> Ethernet switch in my room --> cables out to excisting desktop computer.

Will i be able to connect the Time Capsule in the switch and then set it up so that it goes together with the already excisting network? Or will i have to have 2 different networks?

Sorry if this has been answered before, i tried searching around, but didn't find anything. So if anyone has any insight as to if this is possible or could point me in the direction of where it has been answered before then that'd be much appreciated :)

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

you will have two different networks
    apple routers will only extend networks already made by other apple routers.

the cisco router may be able to extend the TC, but that depends on a lot of things.

my suggestion will be to swap the cisco router for the TC and try that at first, the TC may have better signal, and thus you may not need two routers.
    if the TC doesn't give enough signal I would buy an airport express to extend it.

have you tried relocating your router? I pulled a 100ft ethernet cable from my modem, through my cellar, up through my houses walls and up into my addict where my AEBS sits, and provides me with full signal throughout my house and garden.

3. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I guess i'll test the signal of the TC, maybe it covers what i need it to, and if it doesn't i'll try with a range extender. I can't move the router i have atm, as i need to have signal upstairs as well.
    Really excited to see what Apple has to show tonight, hopefully it won't be too long til the computers are in stock :confused: