Time Capsule in Student Accomodation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by farogty, Mar 25, 2012.

1. farogty macrumors newbie

Hi all , i am Living in London in a student accommodation that provides wired connection only. i can use my ethernet wire anywhere in the building and enter my username and password. The ISP provider is called Studentcom. I want wireless connection so badly , i called them and they told me that they don't provide any support for wireless and its a wired service and they can't advice me regarding a router, and the guy mentioned something about single ip address.

Now, i am planning to buy Time Capsule , will it work if i just blogged my ethernet wire on it ? and can i access the internet using many devices or it will be just one device ? please help

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Talk to whoever is in charge of the internet in your building, not the ISP. There might be limitations to what you're allowed to use. Also, they should be able to help you with any other questions you might have. For us to answer them based on the information you've given isn't the easiest task :)

3. farogty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply , actually the internet provider is the only responsible, when ever i try to speak to people here , they just give me the number of studentcom to call them. They told me what i wrote before , so is there anything that i can know from my network settings if Time Capsule is going to work or not ? shall i ask them specific questions ? did any one try before changing wired connection such as in accommodations or hotels to a wireless one ?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Really? Well, if I were you I would just buy one (in a store with at least a few days' return policy just in case), plug it in and try it out :) I mean, that's really all there is left to do, since you don't have a responsible to ask and the ISP isn't really being very helpful.

5. LFMNX macrumors regular

consider an airport express. Then you can move it around easily

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The OP wants a TC... so it is reasonable to assume backup is also a priority.

I agree with the advice to just buy one and try it out. It most likely will just work. I've provided my kids with TCs while they were in college and it worked great. They have wireless access... can use multiple devices (iMac, MBA, iPad, iPhone)... and get automatic backup.

/Jim

7. farogty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply , yes making back ups is very important as well , i think i am going to try , but i would be more happy if someone who tried that told me that it worked

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It worked for my daughter, but she did not go to school in London. She goes to graduate school in British Columbia, Canada. Like you she has wired ethernet only. She plugged in her Time Capsule, and it supports all of her computers and devices... and backs up both of her Macs (iMac & MBA).

I'll be really surprised if you have an issue. Check with others in your school to see if any are using wireless routers. If they are... then it is nearly 100% that the TC will work.

/Jim

9. LFMNX, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

LFMNX macrumors regular

Are you hoping to leave the time capsule in one room and have access anywhere in the building? You mentioned you have ethernet anywhere in the building. I am just wondering how practical it will be to have the TC if you plan on moving it or have expectations to have coverage in a large multi-floor complex. Also you can backup with a backup drive if necessary for backups time capsule is just one way (albeit convenient) way to accomplish that. When I travel I bring an airport express, plug into ethernet in the room I am in and have my personal wireless network.

So the real question is how much mobility of the device might be needed if any? If no mobility is required by all means try then time capsule. If mobility of the wireless device in the building is required then there are other apple and non-apple solutions that would be better.