Time Capsule incompatibility with Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mckeeper, Jan 2, 2010.

1. mckeeper macrumors newbie

Hey all.

My situation: I am currently running Tiger 10.4.11. I am upgrading to Snow Leopard. I want to back up my iMac before installing SL. The wonderful new gift I received of Time Capsule 802.11n is not compatible with Tiger; it needs OS X 10.5.2, minimum. I was told my iMac would be able to recognize TC if it was connected with an Ethernet cable, even with my current OS. I was told I wouldn't be able to run Time Machine, but I would be able to back everything up using TC as an external disc.

My problem: How do I perform the actual back-up? My computer recognizes that TC is there, but I can't install the TC software due to my OS being too old.

Thanks.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Use another program that does backup like SuperDuper or CCC and just treat the time capsule as a regular Network hard drive. Than do your upgrade.

3. mckeeper thread starter macrumors newbie

TC not recognized - install SN without back-up?

Apparently I was wrong and TC is not being recognized by my computer. I downloaded both CCC and SuperDuper, and both failed. When I tried to select a destination for the clone/copy, only my hard drive and Network were options, and TC was not visible in either.

Is it completely reckless to install SN without making a back-up first?

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

If your time capsule is not compatible with your system than you are out of luck unless you want to invest in a inexpensive external drive. I can tell you that I have upgraded several macs without doing a backup (yes, reckless) and they all went fine for me. However, that being said, I always do backups nowadays - but I recommend a clone type backup (that superduper offers) instead of a time machine backup for OS upgrades as a Just in case scenario.

The choice is up to you, but if you have the means, get a separate drive and do a separate backup. The chances are low that things will go wrong - but you never know.