Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hi,

I plan to buy the new Time Capsule this week to replace my outdated Netgear router. Thus, I will be using my Time Capsule both as a router and to manage backups.

My cable modem is in the living room, and since I need to connect the Time Capsule to the modem, this is the room in which the Time Capsule will reside.

In a different computer room, about 50 feet away or so, I have my 2012 iMac.

My question is: What would be the best/easiest setup for me?

I have read that doing an initial backup with the Time Capsule wirelessly can take forever and that it is better to plug the Time Capsule directly into the iMac via ethernet cable, at least for the initial back up.

Other than getting a super long ethernet cable to go from my living room (Time Capsule) to my iMac (computer room), are there any other options to improve the speed/reliability of my iMac backups to the Time Capsule given that the devices will be located in different rooms?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can just bring the TC to the iMac and connect it with a cable for that first backup. The TC will not have Internet connectivity, but that won't matter. You will still be able to connect to the TC for the backup over ethernet.

Then when it is done, take the TC back to the living room and connect it to the modem.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I think that you are over-thinking. Set up your devices in your preferred locations, start back-up and let it run overnight. Done.

Hi,

I plan to buy the new Time Capsule this week to replace my outdated Netgear router. Thus, I will be using my Time Capsule both as a router and to manage backups.

My cable modem is in the living room, and since I need to connect the Time Capsule to the modem, this is the room in which the Time Capsule will reside.

In a different computer room, about 50 feet away or so, I have my 2012 iMac.

My question is: What would be the best/easiest setup for me?

I have read that doing an initial backup with the Time Capsule wirelessly can take forever and that it is better to plug the Time Capsule directly into the iMac via ethernet cable, at least for the initial back up.

Other than getting a super long ethernet cable to go from my living room (Time Capsule) to my iMac (computer room), are there any other options to improve the speed/reliability of my iMac backups to the Time Capsule given that the devices will be located in different rooms?

Thanks!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I think that you are over-thinking. Set up your devices in your preferred locations, start back-up and let it run overnight. Done.

Exactly. Backup is done in the background. You should not even notice it going on. If you ever have to restore, you might connect TC to Mac via cable to speed up the long read. But that should not be required.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
TC backup should still allow you to browse and use the Mac without any notice in performance drop. Just run it now or overnight as others have stated.

pete78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for all of the feedback, much appreciated. I will follow your suggestions and setup the TC wirelessly, and just do the first initial backup overnight.

rivettmj

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'll add a +1 to the just do the first backup via WiFi crowd, it may take an overnight run, but it saves you from having to move the device around after the initial backup!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.