Time Capsule: Internal Disc needs repair

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glocke12, Oct 28, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Two week old 1 TB time capsule, used to back up iMac, machine, MBP an iMac, and used to store a 400 gig iTunes library is giving me a "internal disc needs repair" message. Wifi is still working.

The TC is not showing up in finder or disc utility, and Apple Care tells me I need to reformat the disc.

Any other solution ? There is an Archive button there, will that help?

Also, is it worth trying another time capsule or should I just forget this entirely ?

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Possibly opening the device up, extracting the harddrive and plugging it into a computer directly would allow the data stored on it (or parts of it anyway) to be salvaged, but there's of course no guarantees. (And you will probably void its warranty also.)

Also, you should never have data you value in any way stored in just one place. A time capsule is, like any device lacking internal redundancy, unsuited to use as a primary storage device. It's meant to hold an additional copy (or copies) of your data. While harddrives can always fail, it's unlikely both your computer's drive and your time capsule suffer drive failures simultaneously. Barring floods or fire, meteors from the sky or such of course... :p

That you will have to decide for yourself. It's not the usual pattern for these things to die after just a couple weeks though.