Time Capsule: Internet 2 times slower, but transfer speed ok

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by npkrol, Sep 29, 2011.

1. npkrol macrumors newbie

Hi!

Have a time capsule 1st gen connected to wimax modem via ethernet, bridge mode.
    When connecting to modem i have a 8 mbps speed, to time capsule - just about 4.

The weirdness is that the transfer rate between pc and capsule is about 130 mbps, so the signal is ok.

Assuming that there is no problem on the modem side (direct connection works well), what can be wrong? I tried to play with the settings on TС and sometimes it gave me about 0,5 mbps when the inner network speed was ok.

Where to look? What do i have to change?

2. hafr macrumors 68030

I've had the same problem before, and often, at LAN-parties. What we used to do (and that worked most of the times) were four things.

1) try another port on the modem
    2) try another TP/ethernet cable
    3) make sure there's not a bunch of cables of any kind tangled around each other (the less it looks like a snake pit, the better)
    4) try connecting the modem to another wall socket, especially if you have a lot of stuff connected to that specific outlet

Good luck!

3. npkrol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Tried almost everything except maybe from another socket wall, but it didnt feel like a real difference.

Do capsule's own wi-fi and internet settings play role?
    I mean, can channels, multicast rate, tx power etc matter?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Well, the more things you cram into a wall socket, the more likely it is that something won't get enough power. Also, if the cables (in the wall) are old they're not able to push as much through as you might expect. If you live in an old house or have a lot of things plugged in, it's definitely worth trying out a wall socket that's connected to another fuse :)

I would assume that the Time Capsule's WiFi settings has very little to do with what it gets from the modem through a cable. But I'm definitely no expert, I hope someone else recognizes your problem and can help you :)