Time Capsule & Internet Browsing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Me2011, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Me2011 macrumors newbie

This is probably a very basic question...

I have a Dell desktop pc that is directly connected to a Time Capsule router. Can a 2nd computer in my network (a Mac laptop that is connecting wirelessly) - can that user in any way access my internet browsing history? Does the Time Capsule store that info? (FYI - The 2nd computer is the admin of the Time Capsule.)

Thanks for any info! :)

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Yes, of course. You are essentially asking if one computer can access files on another computer in the same network. This, obviously can be done very easily. The time capsule, will not store any of this information.

Now if you want to ask how this can be done or how this can be prevented, that will be determined by the security on the machines.

3. Me2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response. I had a feeling this was possible.

So yes, is it possible for you to explain to me how to prevent this? I don't believe any of my "regular" computer folders (documents, photos, etc) are shareable on my network. But what about the internet surfing aspect I mentioned? Is it simple for you to explain where I would go to try and prevent sharing that info?

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Make sure your firewall is on
    Turn all remote access off
    Make sure no one knows your username/password
    Possibly install some anti-virus/intrusion detection system

Basic things that anyone should do to prevent their computer from being hacked.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Since the 2nd computer is the admin, that user will be able to look at the logs on the TC. Pretty much every router keeps a log of the URLs accessed by each computer.

So the admin will pretty much be able to see which websites you've visited. Plus the logs are timestamped.

ft

6. Me2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. So she will be able to see my posts in this forum then? Haha. Dang, oh well. Thank you to everyone for the info and help! Great forum here.