Time Capsule Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JazzyFizzle, Nov 19, 2011.

1. JazzyFizzle macrumors member

I just bought one of the 3TB time capsule things, for mainly one reason: Internet sharing.

I use a 3G USB dongle for internet. Yep no broadband yet.

So I got this time capsule to share the 3G dongle with all the other WiFi devices in the house.

I've tried enabling Internet Sharing in system preferences, but that creates a small wireless hotspot from the iMac (I didn't know this was possible before buying the Time Capsule, but figured the backup facility would justify the purchase).

Does anyone know how to get this working so I can share the internet through the capsule and not the iMac?

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

You can't, the time capsule only shares the ethernet connected internet or extends a wireless network.

you need a mifi or something like this : http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-41...9H9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321718887&sr=8-1

3. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

So I should be able to connect the iMac (which is getting internet from the USB dongle) to the tc and share it that way? I'd test this but can't find an ethernet cable!

4. jsolares macrumors 6502a

yeah seems about right. the downside is having the iMac always on, so maybe a mifi or a different 3g wireless router might be better.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This should work. Enable connection sharing from the USB connection to the ethernet port. And then enable bridging mode on the TC. Don't have a dongle to test this, but it should work.

6. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! I will go buy a cable then set this up! :)