time capsule into airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seanryder, Feb 16, 2014.

1. seanryder macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. Not much of a tekkie so heres what i'd like to do. We have an all mac home including my wifes studio which is in a seperate builbiing out in our back garden. currently we have fiber internet into our home connected to an airport extreme. Two ethernet lines out of the extreme to my wifes studio, one straight into her macbook pro, the other into an old airport express for wireless out there(the extreme in the house doesn't quite reach out there). Wireless in the main house is fine with the extreme. We'd like to get a timecapsule for my wifes studio for back up support and wireless out there. Question is can we connect the TC to the extreme via the ethernet coming from the extreme? and will this give the imac and my macbook in the main house access to the TC as well for backup protection? Hope i didn't make this all to confusing.... thanks so much for any help with this..

sean

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Assuming you didn't go to any effort to establish any subnets, then all your machines and devices are on the same local network. That means that you can connect the Time Capsule to either to your Airport Extreme or the old Express, either by ethernet cable (recommended) or by WiFi.

So, I'd place the TC wherever it most convenient, in the house or in the studio, and connect it with an ethernet cable to a LAN port of the Extreme or Express. All three of your Macs will be able to see it and use it.

3. seanryder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the prompt answer. i thought it would work but wanted to be sure before the $$outlay.