Time Capsule is "full" yet I'm not seeing where

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by beecazz, Oct 11, 2010.

1. beecazz macrumors newbie

I have a 2TB time capsule and i only use it for time machine for a 500GB imac and my itunes library which is currently 477GB in size. I am missing 1TB of space and itunes is not letting me store any more information. Finder shows 2 folders under my time capsule, .sparebundle and itunes. when i choose "get info" on sparebundle it keeps saying "calculating size" ... i have also deleted old back-up folders but still no space. I also deleted 10-20GB of itunes files and it still shows 477GB folder size. Any help?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

don't know how time capsule works, but try emptying the trash. Normal network drives will delete immediately, but not sure if apple built some "smarts" into it, so that it behaves like a local drive.

also with time machine, it makes a new copy every time the file changes so if you have a few large files that change frequently, than your space will fill up pretty quickly. (old files that don't change are merely referenced instead of copied)

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I suggest getting your iTunes library off of your Time Capsule ASAP. It is by no means a decent NAS and should not be used as such, especially if it is the only copy of your iTunes library you have. As soon as that Time Capsule takes a nose dive, you can kiss your iTunes library good bye. You're better off getting a true NAS, preferably one with RAID1, and transferring your iTunes library there. You'll get much better transfer speeds and you won't have to worry about losing your library if the PSU on the Time Capsule overheats (Apple provides no means of data recovery in such case).