Time Capsule is SLOW

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carlcosby, Dec 21, 2010.

1. carlcosby macrumors member

Hi,

I have a 1TB TC and its brilliant for use as a wireless network, enabling me to stream to my ATV with no problems. It backs up my mac with no problems, although I dont use this feature anymore because I see no need to back up my mac. One thing that irritates the ******* out of me with it is that its slow at file transferring. Also, if i point the itunes media folder at it, to save all my music and movies on it, they have problems playing back and pausing etc... when streaming from my Mac. So they are on a different external hard drive connected to the mac.

Also whats the difference between the GHz thing? It gives you an option to select 5GHz, what will that do?

Is there anyway of getting fast file transfer with the TC, would connecting it to the mac directly help?

Thank you and regards

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Firstly I would always have a backup of your computer. Time Machine is an easy way to do this, but there are alternatives. If you do not want it to back up hourly there are some hacks you can do to increase the interval.

The best file transfer frequency will be on the 5Ghz network, so if this is what you primarily require then do it. However, unless you have one of the dual band Time Capsules older devices may not be able to connect to the wireless network. If you can 'hardwire' your mac to the TC it will increase your read and write speeds.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

If you are reasonably anal enough to remember to do your back ups--sadly I am--I just turn backup off in the Time Machine preferences and run it each and every day when I wake up my iMac. :)

4. carlcosby thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies, yes I do have the newer dual band TC, so 5GHz it will be! I will wire a phone point in my mac room so that I can hardwire the TC to my mac, makes sense I suppose. Honestly though, any important stuff is either floating in the mobileme cloud or on my other external HDD connected to the mac. So the back up function isn't needed, it slows everything down and I would like the 1TB space for my itunes media folder because the other external HDD is running out of space!!

Thanks again!

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

You could schedule it to run while you're asleep?