time capsule is SLOW!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by X district X, Apr 7, 2008.

1. X district X macrumors newbie

just got a 1tb time capsule and it has taken over 8 hours to upload 15 gigs (of 30) is this normal as it seems awfully slow?

also you would have thought they would supply a usb to usb cable to plug it directly into the computer eh? blooming apple
    :confused:

2. harrisone23 macrumors member

Its wireless - what do u expect.

Try using a ethernet port for the first backup and for all of your extremely large backups.

3. X district X thread starter macrumors newbie

what do i expect? what nearly a whole day to back up 30 gigs? seems bit excessive to me considering i think i saw someone posted it took 4 hrs for 41 gigs? i dunno maybe i misread it?

:eek:

4. harrisone23 macrumors member

For my first backup on ethernet, it was 145GB and it only took 3.5hours for the whole thing.

5. X district X thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think i should stop the backup and restart?

6. X district X thread starter macrumors newbie

how do you set it up to go through the ethernet?

7. ceehjayem macrumors regular

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I think that the manual suggests that you do the first backup over an Ethernet connection because of the amount of data. However, it will still take quite some time to back up the whole computer the first time.

I usually don't notice that my MacBook is backing up as I'm using it. Well ... except when it crashes my wireless connection :( (I'll have to get around to making a post about this issue some time soon).

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Connect a network cable to your mac and your Time Capsule.
    Turn off Wireless
    Run Time Machine backup

My wired performance was roughly 90GB in 7.5 hours.

10. X district X thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i stopped my backup pressed in the reset button on the back of my time machine, it then said there was a new firmware to install so i installed it, connected it through the ethernet cable - yellow light still flashing, but hen it started to backup - and now its really fast, ive done 9 gig in about 40 mins, so really why they dont give you the option to switch between i dont know????

so if i want to set up the wireless i supose i just run the ethernet cable to my wireless router as i did before?

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Huh? Time Machine could care less about how you are connecting. It will use the active network connection. Its up to you if you want to connect wireless or wired.

You can perform the first backup using a wired connection to help with speed, and then use wireless afterward, as it will only be incremental and much much smaller in size.

PS. Your flashing yellow light may indicate no connection to the internet. You may need to restart both your modem and TC after you are done.

12. X district X thread starter macrumors newbie

this thing is unbelievably bad, i have spent hours now trying to reset the fugging thing up so it backs up wirelessly and every time it tries to restart it says" waiting for the time machine to restart" then times out i am seriously thinking about throwing it in the bin. The only thing stopping me taking it back is that on the box it said 500gb and when i set it up its actually a 1tb one otherwise id take the thing back - karma eh?

13. macalig macrumors newbie

Uploading a single movie file of 700 mb took me 20 minutes !!!

What's wrong with Time Capsule...

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Did you pay the 500GB price? If so, sell it online, and go buy something else that works faster. You can actually make some good money here (taking advantage of mistakes FTW)

15. psingh01 macrumors 65816

The full backup wirelessly is too slow. I have an airport extreme and use an airdisk. For the first backup I used ethernet, since then it is all wireless and it runs great.

You don't have to do anything to different. Just turn off airport and plug your mac into the time capsule via ethernet cable. That's all.

16. maxrocks1929 macrumors newbie

All of these fast speeds are confusing...

Mine is connected over Ethernet with spotlight indexing turned off and it is still crawling along at 5gb/hour... I have a 72gb drive so I'll have to wait 13 more hours until it's finished. Are there any other suggestions?

(unless 5gb/hour sounds good to everyone else)

17. LagunaCapsule macrumors newbie

Time capsule is very slow on wired Ethernet - tested from multiple sources

I purchased a 2 TB Time Capsule today. I want to use it for automatic backups of my Macbook, and I also want to use it to store files from my Windows PC's.

My TC is connected to my network using wred Ethernet only (Wireless is disabled in the TC)

My problem is that transferring files to the TC is incredibly slow. I have been doing some research and found lots of articles that talk about wireless interference and various problems with interoperability between WiFi flavors. None of these would seen to apply as I am using only wired Ethernet to transfer my files.

I also found a couple of discussions that describe how to make a change to the Mac's TCP/IP configuration to avoid a strange network condition slowing things down. This solution doesn't seem applicable as I am seeing the performance problem regardless of where I copy files FROM (I have a mixed environment with Windows and Linux and Mac systems)

Also, I am aware that the inital backup with Time Machine will be slow but I don't think that's relevant to my situation.

My TC is configured for file sharing so I can read and write files from my various Windows systems on the network. When I copy a set of large files to the TC, I see a typical transfer rate of 5 - 6 MB / Second. To me, this is completely abnormal and here is why: When I copy the same files, from the same Windows system, to a server on my network I get about 60 MB / second or about 10 times the transfer rates.

The TC is running firmware 7.4.2.

What gives?

18. JimKirk macrumors 6502

Are you serious?

You are comparing the Time Capsule to a client and server OS that has probably 10 times the memory and processing power of the TC.

Of course it is slow. Every NAS device is slow compared to a real server.

The fastest ones out there are the ones that run a real OS like windows home server or linux.