Time Capsule Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Syntheso, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Syntheso macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm having a problem setting up my Time Capsule on a new network.

I have had the Time Capsule working on a network for the last couple of years. It extended the network and backed up my files wirelessly; no problem.

Now I have moved house and am connecting to someone else's wifi. I would like to use that wifi for my internet and use Time Machine to backup my files -via Ethernet on my Mac Pro -on the same computers it used to backup before.

I have tried resetting Time Capsule and using the appropriate settings to achieve what I have described above. When I get to the last stage and it is 'waiting for time capsule to restart' it does so for a few minutes then says 'Airport Utility was unable to find your AirPort wireless device after restarting', which is weird because the computer is connecting to the router and the internet is working with no problems.

After this, AirPort is connected to the network with no problems and the internet is working.. but Time Machine is no longer showing up as a device. I reset and try again.. still not working.

A solution could be to not use Time Capsule to extend my network (although wouldn't it need to be part of the network for my laptop backup wirelessly?), and so, I reset it again and setup Time Capsule to simply backup files via ethernet. However, when I go to make a backup, it says 'Disk cannot be mounted'. When I go to make a backup on the ethernet computer, it says 'Disk cannot be mounted'. I didn't used to backup this computer via Ethernet before, so it might be (and probably is) unrelated to the fact I am connecting to a new network. My laptop cannot pickup the time capsule..

I have tried this with the Time Capsule plugged into both WAN and LAN ports.

Running 10.5.8.

Any ideas how to achieve what I'm after?

Cheers.

2. Syntheso thread starter macrumors newbie

3. garycurtis macrumors 6502

This may not apply, but when I was going nuts trying to reset my Time Machine setup, ended going around in circles. Someone on this forum answered, and I think this might be the magic bullet for Time Capsule.

Go to you HD > LIbrary > Preferences and look for a file called timecapsul.plist. Move it to a folder outside of Library>Preferences. Then go back to your Setup Control panel and see if your new entries stick.

4. Syntheso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but there doesn't seem to be such a file on my system. Searching the Library folder, the only thing that seems like it might be relevant is located in /Library/Preferences/ByHost/come.apple.TimeMachine.<mac address>.plist

I'll try taking that out the prefs folder for now...

5. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Are you in the main Library, or the Library under User? Should be in the main Library. The plist file you mention is the one I changed to reset cantankerous Time Machine settings that would accept changes.

I would guess that Time Capsule would have it's own Preferences file, but I'm not sure. Plists can be little devils that hang up settings for your browser, for insance. Not allowing you to input new settings in a Control Panel for that application or device. You have to throw them away.

Then, by entering the Control Panel (under System Preferences) changes will be accepted. Look around. Hunt.

6. Syntheso thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right, I was looking in the wrong place! There's a file called com.apple.TimeMachine.plist. I will taking this out and see if it works.

Thanks.

7. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Another thought. Some apple.plists are stored in another Library under your user name. I don't know why the two locations.

Look under USER>USERNAME(you)>LIBRARY>PREFERENCES

You would think Device parameters would be under the ROOT library and Applications under the USER library, but they are mixed up.

----------

Oh, and the preference in the User library usually have the word 'apple.plist' in the item. Not so in the Root library.