Time Capsule: Itunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Schmoe0013, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

The goal: To have all computers in the house use the same itunes library. Now the new ReadyNAS by NetGear has the option to put all the itunes music on there, and it shows up on the network as a shared library.

Is there a way for multiple computers to share the same library on a external hard drive, or in this case, time capsule. I can see where a networked itunes library (like a shared computer) would work just fine for playing music, but you run into problems when say, you want to transfer songs to a ipod, iphone, ect.
    One option would be for one of the computers be the main music server, and have that computer be the one to do the music transfers, but what if that computer is off.

Does anyone know any solutions to this situation? Multiple computers on same network, sharing same itunes library, but still able to manipulate the files?

Thanks in advance!

2. NYCMacPro2008 macrumors newbie

The simpliest way would be local itunes library files. All the music resides on the NAS and each computer is pointed to the NAS.

Each computer will have its own playlists, last played, etc but will also be able to sync locally with anything.

Time capsule doesn't do file share, as far as I know, just backup. You'd be better off with a USB drive attached to the router with all the music and added as a network share to each computer. NAS is a bit faster than a USB share. Probably doesn't matter for music.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I don't know so much about Time Capsule but if you have a NAS drive, when you make an iTunes library, you get a file called "iTunes Library". If you make iTunes point to this instead of the file in your iTunes Music folder, you should be set to go :)

4. mike1mike2mike3 macrumors newbie

iTunes with Time Capsule reverts to my local disk - any ideas?

I've been trying to do this too, to have a single itunes library on my time capsule for me and my wife to share.

I copied my iTunes library to the Time Capsule disk, pointed my iTunes library to it (Preferences > Advanced), and imported the library.

When next I open iTunes, it has reverted to the iTunes library on my laptop. I've tried it several times, with the same result.

I called Apple support - they said to do what I had tried, and that so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Running Leopard on a G4 powerbook. All software current.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Mike

5. Tomi macrumors newbie

a possible answer 6 months later

Make sure you're connected to your time capsule before opening iTunes. Otherwise, iTunes will automatically revert back.

6. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I've been running this setup for a few weeks and I'm not thrilled. Ever since putting my iTunes library on my TC, it as been incredibly slow. My TC signal strength goes way down when trying to back. My iPhone takes forever to sync. I'm typing this from my home office with the AirPort off and using a wired connection because I got tired of waiting 30 minutes later.

I plan to add my iTunes library back to my MBP and taking it off of the TC. I'm disappointed because this is why I bought such a large TC, but with slow iTunes performance (loading, playing songs etc) I'm not about to try moving my iPhoto or iMovie libraries over.

7. crypt0r macrumors newbie

Is there any way to stop this or get round it?

8. billraff macrumors newbie

What I've done is create an alias of iTunes and place it on the network drive. Then drag that alias to the dock so when iTunes launches the drive has to mount if it is not already.

9. bstreiff macrumors regular

How well does this work with concurrency-- two iTunes instances dealing with the library at the same time?

It seems like it'd be pretty easy to corrupt all the library data this way.

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

I have 3 computers use it at various times, and i also stream it to wireless speaker system.

i havent had any issue with latency or corruption of data or files, but i also keep 3+ back ups of my music and media files.

luckily with OSX if i were to take the drive off the network and just hook it up to my Mac(s) it would still allow me to play the file since its not reading off a Drive Letter Path.

Im not sure if its the same for windows.

But basically like the others have stated.
    You can copy all your music/media to the time capsule drive.
    Point your itunes library there.
    If you use a password to connect to the disk, make sure the computer remembers it (so if you do lauch itunes before mounting the drive, it will wake it from sleep, as it will see the path is active), otherwise enter your password prior to that and then launch itunes.

its pretty straight forward and simple, however one function that would be great for syncing purposes is if someone adds a new set of music or an album you can choose to add it to your library; ie; it iwll notify you new music has been added to your library etc etc.

11. Mac&WindowsGeek macrumors newbie

A solution?

Try holding down the option key (between control and cmd - it may say alt) and then opening iTunes until it asks for a library. Then select 'Choose Library...' and browse for your networked library.

Edit:
    Also, make sure the Media Folder location in iTunes (Advanced Preferences) is set to the shared iTunes library's media folder.

Edit 2:
    For Windows, use the shift key

12. Ash new macuser macrumors newbie

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but how do I do this exactly? Yep, I'm a fairly recent convert to Macs.

13. Jefferyd32 macrumors regular

itunes media folder location

Is it possible to have two different locations? I want to store my movies on an external HD but keep my music on my MBP. Is this possible?