Time capsule Join Wireless network : Will all traffic go Mac->Wireless Router->TC ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whitedragon101, Jan 5, 2011.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I have just got my 1Tb time capsule and there are a lot of confusing descriptions of how to connect it.

At the moment I have just selected "join existing wireless network" which is a ADSL 2.4ghz G Router that came with my internet package (Thompson TG585 v7).
    Does this mean that all traffic goes via the ADSL Router and that I will not be using the 5ghz band when I back up so that all the data will follow a path like this and have slow data rates? :

MAC --2.4ghz--> ADSL Router --2.4ghz--> TC

or will I be communicating directly with the TC at 5ghz for backups and data transfer and 2.4ghz with the ADSL router for internet like this? :

MAC --5ghz--> TC
    ADSL Router --2.4ghz--> MAC

If this is not a good setup, what setup would allow me to get the full speed to the time capsule and be connected to the internet.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Connect your TC via ethernet to your existing router ... turn off wireless on your existing router ... turn on bridge mode via the Airport Utility on the TC and let the TC create the wireless network.

Basically, your existing router provides internet and routing functions while your TC provides the wireless network, by far the best setup.

3. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet thanks. Disabled wifi on router plugged in TC and Bobs your mothers brother it worked, very nippy speeds. I streamed 1080p HD off a USB drive and 720p HD through iPlayer at the same time, no stuttering.

In future I may want to nestle the Time Capsule upstairs away from the front door (where the phone point and ADSL router are). So does anyone know how the wifi and routing works and how speed is effected with the setup described in my opening post?