Time Capsule joining an existing wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stridemat, Apr 2, 2008.

1. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hi all, Im new here and too mac's, due to this I think i have a problem which should be easy to solve.

Here is my situation:

I have an existing D-Link router in my house downstairs, my TC has joined the wireless network successfully. It is situated near too my desk upstairs, so I thought I could plug my main computer into it via ethernet, turn airport off and it would let me surf the internet like this:

Macbook via ethernet to TC.

Tc wirelessly to D-Link router which is then connected to the internet.

This is where the problems occur my TC will not use DHCP to assign an IP to my macbook so it will not connect properly. This is a major pain as I also want to use the TC as a router in my room for xbox360 via ethernet (though that aint the problem yet as I want to surf the internet).

Why does this happen?? Is it becuase the TC is only acting as a relay for the main D-link router, thus has no power to 'dish out' ip,s. If this is the case what can I do???
    It is not feasable for me to move the TC downstairs as I am the only one who uses it.

Thanks for any help

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

It could potentially be a compatibility issue between the D-Link router and the Time Capsule. :p :D

3. stridemat thread starter Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member