Time Capsule keeps dropping... dying?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Terry Smith, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Terry Smith macrumors member

Terry Smith

Hi folks of the great knowledge pool... Been using the time capsule for a zillion years, first gen - replaced (nicely under warranty) once - and not using for anything other than a NAS - and have a USB Drive hooked into it too...

Anyway - keeps dropping. "lost connection". The problem is I can't seem to recreate it - just need to wait for it to happen - and then it reconnects and it's fine.

Can anyone provide some collusion on this, or some tips or tricks to get the failure down to the base denominator? It might be my network card on the iMac, the network switch... not sure how to tell... but the only drive that shows a normal drop is the time capsule - and now it's starting to hiccup a bit when doing playback... I use it as the iTunes media store.

Anyway, your help 'Obi Wan(s)' is appreciated in advance.

TMS

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

It could be the TC wireless card going bad. It does not sound like a general wifi problem since the TC is the only device hiccuping. Is that right?

Can you maintain a permanent connection to the TC using airport utility?

----------

Its not clear to me whether your iTunes media is on the TC drive or the attached USB drive. If on the TC drive, I'd try to get a backup of it asap using a hard-wired connection.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This was the first sign I had of the power supply about to fail. Within a matter of days it was dead.

B

4. Terry Smith thread starter macrumors member

Terry Smith

Hasn't dropped since... figures...

I know it's something wonky, and yes, I can always connect to the device - power doesn't seem to be the issue - but often I return to the computer and see the note that it's been disconnected.

Anyway, I think something with the card is the right idea... if I can isolate and repeat, I'll tell you.

Thanks for trying...

TMS