Time capsule keeps renaming disk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hanssonmania, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Hanssonmania macrumors newbie

Hey,

hopefully you guys can help me with a problem. I have my iTunes library stored on my time capsule (internal disk of tc) and everything works like a charm. However, in the last weeks my TC keeps renaming the disk e.g. /volumes/data... to /volumes data-1..., up to data-6 today!

What can i do to stop this? Is it a mounting problem? Please help me guys...Itunes can't locate the files if the path is always changing...

sincerely

Hanssonmania

2. Hanssonmania thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Use a TC only for what it was designed to do....be a storage device for Time Machine. It is not a general purpose NAS.

The good news is that disk drives are dirt cheap. For external storage get an external drive with the appropriate interface for your Mac (FW, USB 3, Ethernet, Thunderbolt). Then make sure that Time Machine is including the external library drive in the backups being created on the Time Capsule.

4. Hanssonmania thread starter macrumors newbie

Storing ones itunes library certainly shouldnt be a problem for TC...a cable bound external storage of course is cheap but also annoying (only have MacBooks) and keeping files on TC so that everybody in the house can access them is the easiest way...(3 Apple tv´s and several MacBooks)

there has to be a way to stop the alteration of the data disk...

5. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

well storing content on a time capsule such as an iTunes folder is not necessarily a problem per se, but the way its being used is the problem.

Time Capsule does go into a standby/sleep mode, so its caching the time capsule multiple times - this can happen when reconnecting to a service tied to the drive; such as iTunes or another service that tries to keep a constant connection.

so that behavior is expected since its not a supported functionality. a drive attached via USB or ethernet may not experience that issue, but since its not the drive dedicated to backups (to time capsule) it may treat it differently.

if you have 3 systems wanting to share the iTunes library, that may also be causing the problem - its caching it on one system, that connection goes out and it sees the same iTunes library being launched on a separate device it will bork out.
    which it has.

read/writing to the same library by various systems seems a bit illogical, unless the library was shared through home sharing from one machine which can better handle the access control.

suggestion - get a dedicated system a cheap ass PC ethernet to the time capsule or a mac mini with an iTunes library that is shared is the best and most reliable way