Time Capsule + Linksys WRT54g = network issues. How to extend network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by msmit, Mar 6, 2011.

1. msmit macrumors newbie

Research suggested that Linksys WRT54G (I got v 3.1), with a Tomato firmware upgrade, would let me extend my wireless network. It seemed to be on track, but when I saved the WDS settings from here on the Linksys Tomato admin: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#how_do_i_use_wds, the Linksys was immediately unavailable. Now I can't access the thing at all, wired, or wirelessly.

So, any thoughts on how to resolve? I think it's because the instructions say to disable DHCP on Linksys, but for whatever reason it's not connecting with the existing network. Ideally, what I'm trying to run is:

Modem: Dlink DVA G3810B (receives incoming DSL), wireless is disabled
    Router (main): Time Capsule Wireless n
    Devices: iMac wired, couple of macbooks wireless, apple TV wireless, iphones, Wii
    Desired addition: Tomato'd Linksys WRT54G to use as wireless WDS access point, extender/expander (and as access point to plug my xbox into in a different room)

Notes:
    I previously switched the TC from "share a public IP" to Bridge mode when I was setting up SFTP and VNC remote access to the iMac (specifically, i used to use mobileme BTMM but when we moved and got the new Dlink DSL+IPTV modem to replace a previous Dlink DSL modem, BTMM no longer worked).

TC is now in wireless mode "participate in a WDS network" but shows error that there are no other WDS devices on the network, despite having affected the Linksys per the instructions on polarcloud.

Even more ideally, I'd end up with a system whereby the iMac could be accessed via direct external IP (for BTMM instead of VNC and SFTP), but that's secondary concern. I'd rather figure out how to connect to the Linksys in the current setup and get the WDS working!

Appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have no clue, but if you find yourself spending too much time, you can pick up a refurbished Express for $70 from Apple and reach your desired goal. The Express will replace your Linksys.

3. msmit thread starter macrumors newbie

I may have to do that and rely on an apple only network. I did manage to restart the Linksys, however, so now I can see the Tomato admin again (had to hold the reset button down for 30 seconds, while apparently also rubbing my belly, patting my head, and chewing gum at the same time).

Has anyone had any luck using the WRT54G as a wireless access point extension to an existing Time Capsule (or similar) network? I'm sure it can be done, but I'm loathe to affect some of the settings again, considering what happened the last time.

Thanks!

4. NoisyCat macrumors newbie

Forget it. I have tried the exact same setup, WRT54GS running tomato and I only had luck extending the Linksys wireless network setting it without any security... and got very poor performance.

I own two Time Capsules, there's no problem extending wireless between them.

In my current setup the Linksys is in bridge mode with the DSL modem, and the Time Capsule is wired to the Linksys.