Time Capsule loosing connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pbassey, Mar 16, 2010.

1. pbassey macrumors newbie

I have seen many posts regarding the Time Capsule and how it will not connect and/or perform a Time Machine backup once it has been configured.

My problem is this:
    I have a refurbished 500gb Time Capsule (TC) with firmware 7.4.1. Initially, I updated the firmware to 7.4.2 (because I thought I should) and I had problems with the TC dropping it's connection as soon as the time machine backup began.
    I read last night that someone reverted the firmware back to 7.4 (I could only revert back to 7.4.1) and that solved the problem. It actually did solve the problem to some extent. After I unplugged the TC to reboot it and reverted the firmware back to 7.4.1, I was able the run the time machine backup to the TC. I though all was fine until I discovered this morning that the connection was once again, dropped.
    I know it is on channel 2 and I have read somewhere to use channel 9. Here are some other details about how I have it setup:
    • I have an ethernet line coming into the TC from my cable modem
    • I have an ethernet line coming out of the TC going into my 27" iMac
    • I have the iMac's wireless network turned on
    • I configured the TC as a wireless network
    • I have an external USB 1Tb drive connected to the TC
    Can anyone offer any other suggestions on what to try ??

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Why would you have the AirPort card enabled on the iMac and also use an Ethernet connection? Typically you should use one or the other unless you are doing internet sharing to yet another device.

Firmware 7.4.2 has been out for quite a while, you shouldn't have needed to downgrade it. Changing the wireless channel should not be necessary unless you suspect interference from a neighbor's network. To see what channel your neighbors' (if you have any) networks are on, go to :apple:, About This Mac, and click on More Info to bring up the System Profiler. Select AirPort under the Network selection on the sidebar. Look through the information about "Other Local Wireless Networks." Pick one that isn't the same as your neighbors'. Also make sure you don't have one of these to contend with.