Time capsule lost backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drew0020, Apr 28, 2010.

1. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I've been backing up my old MacBook Pro for over a year. I sold my computer two months ago and purchased a new Macbook Pro this week. I went to my time capsule and it's only showing a backup from June 2009 when my backups have been for all of 2009. Time Capsule is showing 250GB of space used so my backups have to be there somewhere right?

How can I access these backups?

Thanks!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Time Capsule creates a unique sparsebundle image with every computer that uses Time Machine to back up to it, using the Mac Address (I believe) to create part of the unique name. What you need to do is mount your Time Capsule's hard drive in Finder and double click on the older backup. This will mount the backup disk image and you should be able to view all of the files within. They will be in folders reflecting the date on which they were backed up.

3. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 68000

drew0020

I did this in finder and I only saw one sparsebundle image from June 2009. Does this mean my other backups are gone?

I just can't imagine why this would happen and I had so much data. I feel like the data is still there but I have no way of accessing it. I'll have to try again tonight and see if anything changes.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

How is the hard drive in the Time Capsule being shared? With accounts? With Time Capsule or hard drive password? If you have accounts set up, it may be that the file is not accessible to you. Try changing it to the option with Time Capsule password and see if you can find the file.

5. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 68000

drew0020

I think I have a time capsule password and also a hard drive password. Unfortunatley I'm at work now but I'll look further into this later.

I'm just so disappointed because I wanted to easily migrate my data to my new mac and never thought I'd encounter so many problems.

6. aicul macrumors 6502a

most probably you answered your own question...:(

7. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 68000

drew0020

That is not the answer I wanted :). I just don't understand why they would disappear like this? UGH!

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

How do you feel about opening up the Time Capsule? If you really wanted to, you can take the hard drive out and place it into a dock or enclosure. Then you'll be able to see if the file still exists, and probably be able to move it into a place on the Time Capsule that you can access it to do your restore.

9. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 68000

drew0020

That seems overly difficult. I don't mind doing it but would prefer an easier option to view my files. I feel like it has something to do with it being a new computer. I think I did reuse option when I setup the new MacBook pro. Not sure if that erased my data but it's just very frustrating.