Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Anyone seeing this?

My net connection, which is through the Time Capsule, continues to work perfectly. However, Time Machine stops seeing the drive from time to time. Airport Utility then doesn't see the TC despite the fact that the Mac is connected to the net fine through it.

Stopping and restarting the wifi on the Mac solves it, but this is happening increasingly frequently now.

I've logged a case with AppleCare, but would be useful to know if it's affecting anyone else.

As an aside on AppleCare, I experienced the good, the bad and the ugly today! The first person was absolutely useless, asking questions I'd already answered repeatedly. Eventually asked for his supervisor and he put me through to totally the wrong person, not even in technical support! But the second person is very good and has given me his direct contact details for follow-up.

elektrizitat

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
London
I too am experiencing something similar. I've only had the TC since after upgrading to Lion though so can't compare to Snow Leopard.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
One very long AppleCare call later, and things are worse. :-(

They had me delete the TM prefs plist file, and put the radio channels on manual. We then reselected the TM disk. After a reboot, Finder doesn't see either the TC drive or the external drive connected to it (though Airport Utility does).

We have another call booked for tomorrow morning, so will see where we are then.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Further update. Two further reboots got us back where we were before: drives visible, but intermittent problem still present. I also found this time that the Mac doesn't see the wireless printer when the issue has occurred.

AppleCare asked me to send them another log (using a tool they provide) so awaiting the next step.

KenOzz

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Lincoln UK
Anyone seeing this?

My net connection, which is through the Time Capsule, continues to work perfectly. However, Time Machine stops seeing the drive from time to time. Airport Utility then doesn't see the TC despite the fact that the Mac is connected to the net fine through it.

Stopping and restarting the wifi on the Mac solves it, but this is happening increasingly frequently now.

I've logged a case with AppleCare, but would be useful to know if it's affecting anyone else.

As an aside on AppleCare, I experienced the good, the bad and the ugly today! The first person was absolutely useless, asking questions I'd already answered repeatedly. Eventually asked for his supervisor and he put me through to totally the wrong person, not even in technical support! But the second person is very good and has given me his direct contact details for follow-up.

Interesting, I replaced my Gen3 Time Capsule with the Gen4 on Monday 15th, the Gen3 was ok with Lion, but I have lost the TC in Finder twice in the last 4 days

The Wireless still worked fine even though it was not showing in the Finder

I had not put this down to changing TC's, I just rebooted and put it down to one of those things, will keep an eye on it now

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
I haven't heard back from AppleCare since. I've upgraded to OSX 7.1, which says that it addresses wifi issues, so we'll see if that cures it.

Texran

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
I've lost contact once to my TC, what bothers me more is the number of times I lose wifi connection requiring reset.
I also had problems printing on my wireless printer. Turned off 5 GHz network access to my iMac and haven't had anymore problems with the printer. I'm thinking the iMac can't communicate with printer when its using 5 GHz access.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Where is your printer in relation to your TC and Mac, Texran? 5Ghz isn't good at passing through walls unless they are simple partition ones.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
It will take Apple awhile to sort things out. Lion is a big transition for them.

I'm sticking with my well optimized SL 10.6.5 and just enjoying the great performance one experiences from a mature OS. I use mine for work & personal, so I have no interest in being a test mule.

So far it seems like Lion is primarily designed to wow the beginners and lure more to buy Macs. It will succeed in that role & Apple will get all the money they're after.

Texran

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
I still lose wifi signal 2 or 3 times daily requiring reset. Light is green but no wifi signal. I might add I never had connection problems with my old linksy wifi router.
I'm about to throw this POS in the trash and hook my old one back up.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
It's really weird - I had no issue for about a week after updating to 10.7.1, then three drops in one day, then nothing again for days.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
My 1st gen Time Capsule mostly died with the wifi very error prone. I replaced it with a 4th gen this week, and now I'm seeing this issue as well. It is happening on my 2011 iMac and an early 2009 mini. Both systems are running 10.7.1. WiFi net continues to work fine, though.

RVRoadie

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Turning wi-fi off, then on, takes care of this problem for me. No need to off/on Time Capsule.

Thanks for that tip.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Latest development is that validation failed and it deleted the backup and created a brand new one. :-|

However, that went through pretty quickly, without any issue, so we'll see.

Mac Eagle

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
I am having the same exact problem (I am still using Snow Leopard). I am actually having two problems and not sure if they are related because I had many changes at once. I had a aTV 2 hooked up through a Linksys router to my Power Mac but it died and I bought a 2011 iMac and a TC. I am having issues with the Apple TV not seeing the iMac and/or my iTunes library or I will loose connection to my TC drive even though I still have internet connection.

I think I partially solved my aTV problem by connecting it via ethernet rather than via wireless. Previously, before the new equipment, I had it hardwired, and besides having to remember to turn on the Power Mac, I never had any problems with it. One reason I was excited to get the TC was the wake on lan capability that it gave.

I'm still having the issue of the connection being lost to the TC drive though; so I don't know if the problem resides on the iMac side or on the TC side. I also have a wireless printer and I noticed as well that when this happens I no longer see it in my list of shared devices.

Obvioulsy this is not an isolated occurence so I hope it gets addressed soon (though that seems unlikely).

asen

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Same troubles here with lion 10.7.1 and 4th gen. TC. From time to time it looses connection to the backup drive, but wifi/internet always works perfectly. Some time later, the connection is back again. havent been able to find any pattern yet...

syrinxx

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
same Problem here

i am using a 4th gen TC with a 27" iMac 2010 and lion 10.7.2. the connection to the TC drops of once oder twice a day. but only to the network drive. two macs are using the TC (the iMac and a Mac Book Air).

i am able to use internet but die Airport Utility doesn't seem to find the TC-Device.

its weird. apple care told me to reset the smc controller. i did it 1 hour later the problem was here again.

only a restart of the mac solves the problem for a few hours.

any ideas? or other responses from apple?

btw the Air has no such problems ... don´t ask me why!!!!

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
London, England
Here visibility of the network drives is a bit more random, but it still loses the TC once a day or so. However, switching wifi off then on again continues to solve it, so it's a minor nuisance rather than a major hassle. I'm surprised Apple hasn't fixed it by now, though.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Having this issue as well, can't "see" the TC in airport utility but internet via wifi works fine :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.