Time Capsule Lost Wireless Connections

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteinMaster, Feb 9, 2011.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I lost wireless connection to my Time Capsule yesterday. I cannot get any any web pages to resolve. Safari just hangs at the status bar and nothing loads into the browser. I plugged my MBP directly into the modem and was able to access web pages. When I checked Airport Utility to diagnose, the TC does not show up. I restarted the TC several times with no luck. Not sure what to do now since I cannot get access through Airport Utility. The TC shows a green status light on the front. I tried accessing wireless using another MBP with no luck. My Apple TV also will not connect.

I have heard some of the older TC's breakdown in about two years. I have had mine for about 2 years. Has anyone experienced this issue and fixed it, or should I go out and buy an Airport Extreme (I now backup using SuperDuper to an external HDD)?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Instead of just restarting it, try a true factory reset (Google).

3. balamw, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

FWIW this is about what happened to
    mine before it died. Wireless internet was slow/disconnected for a few days before the light went from green to off. If I powered it off altogether it would work again for a while.

B

4. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

OK. Did the factory reset and it is working again. I bought a new Airport Express today in case I wasn't able to get it working. I'll return it if the TC doesn't have issues in the next 14 days.

What's some thoughts on replacing the TC with a newer AE? My TC is about two years old. Will I see any considerable performance improvements with the AE, or will a be wasting my money replacing the TC? I use an external HDD for backups and really don't care about Time Machine backups.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm considering getting a refurb current generation AE to replace my non gigabit AE just for the simultaneous dual band feature. I believe that's the main difference you would see too over your 2 year old TC. (Plus guest network if your TC is actually your router, mine isn't).

B