Time Capsule MAC and PC ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elrafo, Feb 19, 2008.

1. elrafo macrumors member

Hey there,

My network is mixed, PC plus XP and Mac OS, I am wondering if I will be able to share the TIme Capsule between my Mac and My PC in my personal network.
    This would allow me to share DATA between my Macbook pro and My PC.

is the Time capsule only for MAC OS or allows muti OS compatibility ?

thanks!!

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The marketing material leads me to believe that it should be easy to transfer between the two. I guess we'll know more when it finally ships.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

You can use Time Capsule with both Windows and OS X just like any other external, but you'll want to make sure it's formatted so the file system is compatible. I don't remember while format is best for that, so hopefully someone else will tell you.

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

FAT32 works on both, but then you can't have file sizes larger than 4GB. Which is a problem if you use iMovie I guess.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The format of the drive won't matter (and you probably won't have a choice) because the Time Capsule will behave like a network file server, not like a local drive. This means your machine doesn't have to speak file format language, but rather it will need to speak whatever network protocol they will be planning to use to serve files (AFP or SMB, etc).