Time Capsule: Mac and PCs ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caccamolle, Jan 19, 2010.

1. caccamolle macrumors 6502

I recently changed my Lynksis router (which was using WEP security) with an Apple Time Capsule which is using WPA/WPA2 personal security (because WEP is not available).

On the network I have a new iMac, 3 Vista PCs and 2 XP PCs. The XP PCs and one Vista computer have no problem connecting to the network including internet access. The other two Vista computers however, while they can see the network they cannot connect to the internet. It seems that both of them have the same set-up of the other vista PC that instead can connect successfully (Vista Home Premium v 6 with SP2).

I run a Windows update in order to see if there was any new security patch, but the problem persists. If I eliminate the WPA/WPA2 personal security from time capsule everything is working fine.
    Any hints ? Thx !

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Weirdly enough, the few times I had this issue with my AirPort Base Station installing the Apple AirPort Utility software on the PC fixed it.

I would try that first. Also, update your wireless card drivers on those PCs. And just running Windows Update doesn’t get the latest driver. Go to the manufacturer Web site.

3. mbestel macrumors member

WPA2 not supported on Vista by default

Hi,

I am pretty sure that in order to get XP and / or Vista connecting to an access point using WPA2 security, you need to install a patch from Microsoft.

This could be the problem. Maybe the ones that are working already have it installed?!?

Maybe check microsoft.com

Cheers,

Mark

4. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you guys, I will go and check those patches. Lets see if I can get this thing to work.

5. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If it works fine without WPA, can you just make it a closed network? Then the network name becomes a sort of password on its own, since the name is not broadcast.

Is WPA password length sensitive (13 characters) for PCs, is that just WEP, or did I read the docs wrong?

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

I have a IBM laptop running XP and have no issues with WPA2 FWIW.

I find it odd that Vista didn't include this option.:confused: