Time Capsule, Mac Mini, Apple TV or something really COOL that i've never heard of???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slamd50, Feb 20, 2009.

1. slamd50 macrumors newbie

This whole thing started with my friend offering to buy my imac... i currently have an iMac (witch has all my music, videos, photos and a few programs i would intend on keeping) and a recently purchased macbook uni... The goal is to keep all my music and photos etc. but i don't want to have any of them on my MB (except the programs).
    I started (and almost bought) with a time capsule. I liked the wireless transfer and thought it would be cool to have my music accessed from my MB, that i would have connected to my receiver. This is where reading other threads and reviews got my wheels turning and in turn looking down the avenue of a mac mini instead or possibly a apple tv with a external hd...
    The ultimate goal is to have my audio and video easily connected to my home theater. I'm not completely against hooking my MB to my receiver I just dont want to have it stored on my MB... What had started as search for a means of storage evolved into a search for an Apple (or at least apple friendly) media server. So who has the best solution?

2. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Do you have more than 160GB for media? If not, then an Apple TV could do the trick. If you don't want to store media on your macbook then you could store it all on the ATV (although, personally, I wouldn't recommend it. I like to have back-ups).

3. slamd50 thread starter macrumors newbie

[/IDo you have more than 160GB for media? If not, then an Apple TV could do the trick. If you don't want to store media on your macbook then you could store it all on the ATV (although, personally, I wouldn't recommend it. I like to have back-ups).

as of now the 160 would work but, i couldn't download my music directly to the apple tv (not from itunes music store, elsewhere)....