Time Capsule maximum data transfer rates.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FearGhost, Aug 11, 2011.

1. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

Hi, I have looked around and cannot find details of the maximum data transfer rates for the latest generation Time Capsules. Im talking about the transfer rates attained when connected via gigabit networking. Most of the reviews I have read all talk about the improved WiFi, but no mention of the actual data transfer speeds when connected via gigabit ethernet.

Does anyone have the latest generation Time Capsule that they can test over gigabit ethernet?

Thanks all......

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You should check Anandtech's review that was posted the other day. As I recall, best-case, connected via gigabit and transferring single large files clocked in at about 85MB/s in their tests.

Multiple simultaneous small file transfers on the other hand is ludicrously slow. Literally single or low double digit kilobyte/s rates, but that's probably what's to be expected. Ethernet was never made for disk I/O purposes.

3. FearGhost thread starter macrumors member

FearGhost

Thanks for that, I'll check out Anandtech's review.

The reason I'm asking is because I currently use a Synology DS710+ NAS and the data transfer rates on that are up to 100Mbps over wired ethernet. The problem I have is available disk space. My DS710+ has two 1.5TB drives in Raid 1 configuration giving me only 1.5TB of usable space of which I've allocated 750GB to TimeMachine. The rest I'm using for file storage. I'm planning on using the Time Machine to back up my 2010 MBP, 2011 Mac Mini and my wires 2011 MBP (1320 Gb in total!)

The NAS also only works with Lion using their latest beta firmware, which is a pain. Obviously the Time Machine would work out of the box.

Ideally I would like to keep the entire NAS for data storage and also have a Time Machine purely for Time Machine backups but I don't really want to lose the speed....

4. ender21 macrumors 6502

Did you mean 100MBps?

I haven't gotten anything close to 85MBps on my new TC. Usually between 30 to 40. And yes, that's disappointing coming from a HP MediaSmart server that consistently got me 85-100MBps.

I've implemented what you suggested - NAS/Server for hosting data, and the TC for backups and Time Machine only. I'm less concerned with Time Machine GigE speeds.

5. FearGhost thread starter macrumors member

FearGhost

Yes, if you look here at the specs you'll see that the Synology DS710+ can sustain 100MBps in both read and write....

http://www.synology.com/us/products/ds710+/index.php

I guess what I'm looking for is the ability to restore and backup from the Time Machine as well as I can with the NAS. It doesn't have to be as high end as the NAS but I don't want to have to wait days for initial backups or restores to occur (over a wired connection).

It looks like the latest Time Machine can perform well enough for me when carrying out initial backups or restores when wired, and incremental backups would be fine over WiFi :)