Time Capsule multi-boot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zeke D, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Here's the setup:
    MBP (early 2011 - i5 4GB 320GB HDD)
    Time Capsule (2nd gen 500GB)
    MBP running latest Lion and latest Snow Leopard. Lion is used primarily, and has latest iWork, iLife and Adobe CS5. Snow has PPC/Rosetta stuff, mostly games. Snow disk usage is about 9GB, Lion is about 38GB, with 27GB just the iTunes library.

The problem:
    when I do a Time Machine backup on either OS, th next time I run the other OS, I have to do a full backup. I assume it has something to do with the wireless MAC or something. Can anyone confirm this and/or instruct me on a solution?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hmm, it's based on the Machine UUID, which is the same OS-wide. You might be able to get around this problem by splitting the Time Capsule drive in two..one for each set of OS's per computer. Then point each OS to the respective partition.

3. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

That might work. I would only need like a 40gb partition for snow. Can I do that without wiping the tc?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, I think the TC will only repartition when it erases the drive.

5. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I guess I can just move the contents from he t. To an external drive so my other two machines will not have to re-backup.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It sounds like backing up the SL drive is low priority. Have you considered pointing SL backup to a cheap external HDD? You could manually connect the drive occasionally to back up SL. Meanwhile, your Lion partition would automatically back up whenever on the home network.

/Jim